MFSL VS Redbook CD's

joessportster

Ha! I was speaking for myself. I started early in music. I know I have CD's over 25 years old and used to have vinyl older than that. My first concert was the Styx Paradise Theater tour in '81 or '82 if that tells you anything. Back then all the bands hit Little Rock for some reason. I remember it very well, because my mom wouldn't let me go to the Van Halen Fair Warning tour in '81 and they were the top dog then. I saw Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest...all the usual suspects of those years before I was in the 10th grade, and they all came to Barton Coliseum in Little Rock. Come to think of it, I also missed out on a Kiss concert in '79 or '80 because I was too young. Get this though, Kiiss came to Pine Bluff, Arkansas. That may not mean anything to you, but the Arkies will get it.

I think MFSL (remastered?) the material at half speed or some such.

I have redbook versions of the Tubes first album, one plain old CD and the other MFSL. While the Tubes first album isn't one of the greatest recordings from the get go, it's still a good album to myself.

Played over a common CDP, there is some differences to my ears. The plain old CD version has more of a grainy hash along with the music, the MFSL version has eliminated most of the noise. It's still a mediocre recording, and you can't get away from that, but I notice the difference. And anything helps...

The MFSL version sounds similar/close enough to a good vinyl copy of the Tubes, which ain't nuthin' special...the plain CD version sounds way worse. When the Tubes put out "Young and Rich", they seemed to have paid more attention to the engineering/recording. The vinyl version sounds of "young and Rich" sounds rather good, with the redbook CD version just as close.

I seen Black Sabbath with Van Halen back who knows when. It was Van Halen's debut tour...Sabbath was down and out. Van Halen TROUNCED Sabbath. I recall Tony playing guitar, and looking at his watch every two minutes. They played 40-45 minutes, where VH played well over a hour.

I remember Ozzy all sweaty and overweight, with his white Elvis costume w/fringes, doing the Richard Nixon peace sign stance, and screaming at the crowd..."I'm goin' solo!!!!"

BOO! BOO! GO HOME! BOO!!!

He picked up Randy, and the rest picked up Ronnie, so I guess it worked out...

I'm pushing 1/2 a century, and music was kind of my escape while I was a kid. I never got to attend concerts and the like, my main source was radio. When i joined the service one of the first things I bought was a Sansui rack stereo (dreaded 80's vintage all black in its oun rack) I loved that thing, I was shortly assigned to a base near Frankfort Germany . I was in the AV store all the time drooling over stereo. I left Germany with Onkyo M504, and P308 and some other source components with Infinity studio monitor 150 (My neighbors loved me) I got away from audio for a good while wife kids house, work etc... I got back into audio when my wife decided she did not like me anymore after 15 years (she said not enough money for her the day she left). I went back with what i knew Infinity speakers RS2b, which kept shutting down my onkyo m504.... I started investigating why this was happening and came upon Klipsch The rest is history documented here in different threads

My first concert was Steve Earle a few years ago upon invite from Bryan here on the forum

Edited by joessportster

I think MFSL (remastered?) the material at half speed or some such.

I have redbook versions of the Tubes first album, one plain old CD and the other MFSL. While the Tubes first album isn't one of the greatest recordings from the get go, it's still a good album to myself.

Played over a common CDP, there is some differences to my ears. The plain old CD version has more of a grainy hash along with the music, the MFSL version has eliminated most of the noise. It's still a mediocre recording, and you can't get away from that, but I notice the difference. And anything helps...

The MFSL version sounds similar/close enough to a good vinyl copy of the Tubes, which ain't nuthin' special...the plain CD version sounds way worse. When the Tubes put out "Young and Rich", they seemed to have paid more attention to the engineering/recording. The vinyl version sounds of "young and Rich" sounds rather good, with the redbook CD version just as close.

I seen Black Sabbath with Van Halen back who knows when. It was Van Halen's debut tour...Sabbath was down and out. Van Halen TROUNCED Sabbath. I recall Tony playing guitar, and looking at his watch every two minutes. They played 40-45 minutes, where VH played well over a hour.

I remember Ozzy all sweaty and overweight, with his white Elvis costume w/fringes, doing the Richard Nixon peace sign stance, and screaming at the crowd..."I'm goin' solo!!!!"

BOO! BOO! GO HOME! BOO!!!

He picked up Randy, and the rest picked up Ronnie, so I guess it worked out...

That was a great combo! I saw Sabbath with an opening act of......wait for it......Night Ranger believe it or not ! It wasn't a bad show. I even scored a black pick from Tony that had his name on it.. I wish I knew where that was?? I probably traded contraband for it 30 years ago :huh:

I'm pushing 1/2 a century, and music was kind of my escape while I was a kid. I never got to attend concerts and the like, my main source was radio. When i joined the service one of the first things I bought was a Sansui rack stereo (dreaded 80's vintage all black in its oun rack) I loved that thing, I was shortly assigned to a base near Frankfort Germany . I was in the AV store all the time drooling over stereo. I left Germany with Onkyo M504, and P308 and some other source components with Infinity studio monitor 150 (My neighbors loved me) I got away from audio for a good while wife kids house, work etc... I got back into audio when my wife decided she did not like me anymore after 15 years (she said not enough money for her the day she left). I went back with what i knew Infinity speakers RS2b, which kept shutting down my onkyo m504.... I started investigating why this was happening and came upon Klipsch The rest is history documented here in different threads

My first concert was Steve Earle a few years ago upon invite from Bryan here on the forum

Too bad you're so far away Joe, would love to hear some past stories from Germany. Yeah, I did the Advent, Norman Laboratory, etc. speaker experimentation. It didn't take long to figure out what I was missing. Speaking of radio, I miss real radio. Not these continuous play sets that plague even the classic Rock stations.

One comment I could make about comparing DVD-A or SACD to the regular CD version of the same album is consider the volume. I have found over say 20 or so compares that the SACD and DVD-A are recorded "hotter" than the original CD, especially true of the DVD-A. I prefer SACD renditions in almost every case to the DVD-A, and in all cases I only directly compared stereo to stereo, as I take the 5.1/7.1 mixes to be different and in some cases as much or more enjoyable. While I don't take that the volume to be the only difference between the say the SACD to CD to be the only difference, its sometimes its the biggest difference IMO. That said if given the choice between buy the CD and the SACD I would always take the SACD, but Sony should have gotten over itself and allowed digital files, like say a FLAC HD version. I say FLAC instead of WAV for the sole purpose that FLAC contains Meta data internally where as older WAV concept does not, yes a separate .thm file can be created, but not the same. Disk space is too cheap to worry about compression in my case anyway. SACD was a wasted opportunity by Sony in similar fashion like their TV business. They didn't stay ahead of the times. I don't blame the consumer

Edited by jacksonbart

One comment I could make about comparing DVD-A or SACD to the regular CD version of the same album is consider the volume. I have found over say 20 or so compares that the SACD and DVD-A are recorded "hotter" than the original CD, especially true of the DVD-A. I prefer SACD renditions in almost every case to the DVD-A, and in all cases I only directly compared stereo to stereo, as I take the 5.1/7.1 mixes to be different and in some cases as much or more enjoyable. While I don't take that the volume to be the only difference between the say the SACD to CD to be the only difference, its sometimes its the biggest difference IMO. That said if given the choice between buy the CD and the SACD I would always take the SACD, but Sony should have gotten over itself and allowed digital files, like say a FLAC HD version. I say FLAC instead of WAV for the sole purpose that FLAC contains Meta data internally where as older WAV concept does not, yes a separate .thm file can be created, but not the same. Disk space is too cheap to worry about compression in my case anyway. SACD was a wasted opportunity by Sony in similar fashion like their TV business. They didn't stay ahead of the times. I don't blame the consumer

I noticed in two channel operation my Blu-ray audio sounded compressed as well. I'm guessing its down mixing that multichannel signal. I own one hybrid SACD disk, but I don't own a U-player to hear the SACD side yet. I don't know if I have listened to my DVDA in stereo yet. The wife commandeered my Blu-ray player for downstairs and I have yet to replace it or hear any multi channel audio in a few months. Now Im going to have to scape a little together and pick up an Oppo that can handle it all.