Speaker Selector switch suggestions needed

bracurrie

I took my Jubilee two way offline for a while until my Yields arrive. My KEF monitors are delightful but now I am running passive and as such my sound card has six channels of output so I could drive three amps. I adjusted the trims and now my three amps AVA Synegy 220, ampsandsound,com Stereo 15, and Manley GY50 can be compared with no gain differences. But I would like a high quality switch so that I could quickly go between the amps to hear differences. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

post-45802-0-97880000-1393188025_thumb.j

I would point you to this thread:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/148291-need-help-figuring-outfinding-a-rotary-switch/#entry1694086

A Niles SPK-1 in reverse and use a 12VDC power source; instead of a permanent solution like I use, you could wire it in and use a simple toggle switch at the couch to control the 12 volts. BTW, I have used the SPK-1 for years and never had a failure or noise. I was very afraid to have my McIntosh and VRD amps 'touch' each other but it never happened

Edited by USNRET

Thanks! But as I think about this I realize its more complicated than I thought. I have three pair of stereo outfuts from the sound card where I have trimmed the levels so there is no SPL difference from the speakers when I switch between the three amps. So what I need to be able to do is switch between the amp outputs to one set of speakers.

I apologize to all that have read this thread. I should have thought it out before I posted the question.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/148291-need-help-figuring-outfinding-a-rotary-switch/#entry1694086

A Niles SPK-1 in reverse and use a 12VDC power source; instead of a permanent solution like I use, you could wire it in and use a simple toggle switch at the couch to control the 12 volts. BTW, I have used the SPK-1 for years and never had a failure or noise. I was very afraid to have my McIntosh and VRD amps 'touch' each other but it never happened

One - I probably posted this in the wrong forum.

Two - Yours is a great idea. Do you get any pops or clicks when switching?

Thanks

Thanks

I have switched "under power" as I have always had it programmed with delays.

Sorry, I have NEVER switched under power

Edited by USNRET

Thanks

I have switched "under power" as I have always had it programmed with delays.

Sorry, I have NEVER switched under power

Thanks.

But this now begs the question can you leave an amp on with no speakers connected? I have been using banana plugs and plugging and unplugging the speakers to make the change while leaving them powered on. I was hoping to find a solution that would allow me to fast switch back and forth. fortunately the amps have their sources fed in parallel from the sound card so no amp source switching is needed.

You posted a question in another thread. here was my reply...

I finished the switch. There is plenty of room on the face for extra features and switches. In the future, I may add some added flexibility. I also left room on the rear for more connections. the box itself is spacious enough for more wire as well. As soon as I get the SPK-1 in, I will try it out. I tested continuity, and everything is perfect.

I am wondering what would be good to use for labeling. I thought the whole box was black anodized aluminum, and I was going to use an engraver. As it turns out, the face and rear plate are ABS plastic.

Any ideas for labeling?

How could I adapt this for my amp source selector connected to one pair of speakers?

Thanks

Amp source would require speaker level current, so you would have to use a relay. The best thing you could do is buy a Niles SPK-1, and put together a little toggle switch box with a 12VDC transformer input. When you toggle the power on, it would send 12VDC (minimum of 100mA, but 200 would be better) to the Niles which would switch the relay. When it is toggled off, the voltage disappears and the SPK-1 switches to the default position.

If you also want to trigger an amp to turn on/off, you would need a Niles AC-3.

Note: The AC-3 will only switch one of the devices.

SPK-1hi.jpg

AC-3hi.jpg

Thanks for the attempted aid to my problem. But I may have misled you and maybe others. Let me try again.

The amps sources can stay static and I can make them quiet from the sound card. The Niles SPK-1 is really a good solution that limits me to ABX two amps and that's ok. I will just use it in reverse.

Thanks for the attempted aid to my problem. But I may have misled you and maybe others. Let me try again.

The amps sources can stay static and I can make them quiet from the sound card. The Niles SPK-1 is really a good solution that limits me to ABX two amps and that's ok. I will just use it in reverse.

You have 3 pairs of pre-amp level signal coming from your sound card in or attached to your computer.

Pair 1 - > AVA Synegy 220

Pair 2 -> ampsandsound Stereo 15

Pair 3 -> Manley GY50

You didn't specify how many pairs of speakers you are using, but I will assume you are using 1 pair. the KEF Monitors.

If this is true, the answer is simple. Just build a switch box like mine, but add another pair of RCA outputs on the back, and do away with the 12VDC trigger. The box I built could be easily used for what you are doing. Here is a list of parts:

a 3 position 2 pole switch

any little switch box

4 red rca female jacks (1 in 3 out)

4 white rca female jacks (1 in 3 out)

a knob

some wire

some solder

Here's a schematic:

post-47699-0-61040000-1393219855_thumb.j

The only thing this doesn't account for is the fact that you would have 3 amps connected to one pair of speakers. For that I would think an ABC speaker switch in reverse would work. The only thing you would have to do is make sure both the box and the speaker selector were on the same letter.

edit: I'd look for rotary A/B/C switch. You certainly wouldn't want one of the kind with push buttons where you can have more than one amp connected at a time!

Edited by mustang guy

Thanks. I think this could work except I would be switching speaker signals from the amps so I would need banana female terminals instead of RCAs

Mustang Guy,

Thanks again for your schematic. I found these to use http://www.parts-express.com/banana-5-way-speaker-wire-binding-post-terminal--260-301 So I will use one pair out to speakers, then three more for the amps. The rotary switch will work out fine. I love the isolation feature of not accidently having two amps on at the same time.