Heresy finish

eth2

Hi All,

I just bought a pair of Heresys from about 1985. They seem to be in perfect condition, and the cabinets are in perfect condition with one exception. The tops of both cabinets are a bit faded. You need to look at them from the right angle to see the difference in the finish. I am wondering if they can be oiled, and if so, what do I use. Since they are barely noticeable I do not want to take a chance on making them worse.

Thanks

What finish are they? Are they raw birch or do they look like a nicer veneer? Pics always help.

If they have a lacquer finish, it would require more (and different) work, but an oil finish you can certainly do yourself. If they are just faded (no water rings or other marks...) you can use some BLO (boiled linseed oil) thinned with some mineral spirits. Wipe in, leave a little while and buff with a clean rag. Please note that BLO is a self catalyzing type of product. Rags can self combust and need to be soaked in water or laid out to dry where you can keep and eye on them.

The thinning helps the BLO penetrate the would a little easier (varnish and lacquer remains on the surface of the wood).

Bruce

There's very little oil in lemon oil. It will dry out really quickly. Tongue oil, Watco Danish Oil, BLO, will all work satisfactorily. I would do the tops, let them dry, see how close they are to the sides and bottoms, then do the whole cabinet on each.

Lemon oil won't protect them much. The others mentioned will actually penetrate and harden, sealing and protecting the wood. Technically, these pretty much the organic equivalent of polyurethane. Poly just dries to a harder finish.

I know others will chime in. My La Scalas and Heresy IIs have a lacquer, but I've put BLO on two pairs of JBLs with oiled Walnut. They look quite handsome.

Just my opinion... ;)

Bruce

I tried lemon oil and they look new. I will watch and see how long they continue to look that way. The previous owner never put anything on them. They built a new home about ten years ago, installed in-wall speakers and packed the Heresys up and put them away. They still sound great. For $400 (and local pickup) I am a happy camper.

Thanks, all.

FWIW, most lemon oil is mostly mineral oil with a smidge of lemon in it to make it smell good. It works but doesn't protect as well from moisture.

Glad you like them... Are those the original Heresy speakers or the IIs? That was a transition year. The first Heresy speakers have a small terminal strip for attaching wires, while the HIIs have an input cup, first a round one, later changed to more of a rectangle. Love my HIIs.

Bruce

Nothing wrong with a little lemon oil to get you by. It let you see a bit of how it will look with a new coat of oil. I like to wait for warmer weather for finishing work. They will most likely want more lemon oil within a couple months. I have furniture that has had nothing but occasional lemon oil treatments for 40 + years. For heritage Klipsch I've used BOL and later tried Watco Danish Oil. I'm going to stick to the Watco for future work... it is easy and the odor wasn't as bad as the BOL.

Next, you can upgrade them to Heresy III ! A little more work with the round input cup but it can be done.