Better Way To Control Subs In A 2 Channel System

jcmusic

any way to run full frequency sweeps through your mains to see where they start to roll off? then you just need to set the sub to the same spl level and roll it off around the same area. i used to cross at 80 for my mains to subs. changed mains and the new ones i have cause a very large dip around 80 hz. they just can't play around that region well for some reason in my room. so i cross them at 100 and bumped the subs up to 100. and they sound fantastic to my ears and they measure well as well.

any way to run full frequency sweeps through your mains to see where they start to roll off? then you just need to set the sub to the same spl level and roll it off around the same area. i used to cross at 80 for my mains to subs. changed mains and the new ones i have cause a very large dip around 80 hz. they just can't play around that region well for some reason in my room. so i cross them at 100 and bumped the subs up to 100. and they sound fantastic to my ears and they measure well as well.

Exactly that's what I am seeing too, mains are rolling off about 100hz on down but, playing the mains up to 100hz andthe subs the same produces way too much bass...

that is weird that your khorns would only play down to 100. something sounds wrong with that? my thx ultra are only rated down to 80 hz

No No No they will play down much more than that but, themeasurement curve shows them starting to roll off or it's the room dictating what's happening...

My EQ has a HPF option..

The general rule of thumb is to set the hpf ~1 octave above the speakers' native low freq extension, which for your speakers would suggest what, 60,70 hz or so? I'm curious why you chose such a high hpf freq. Considering the capability and low distortion of your mains, you could go much lower without compromise.

hmm that is weird. is there any way to boost around 100 for just the mains and get them as flat as possible down to around 40-50 then pick the subs up around there?

Sure I could boost but I don't I was always told that you never want to boost, you want to pull down the peaks.

My EQ has a HPF option..

The general rule of thumb is to set the hpf ~1 octave above the speakers' native low freq extension, which for your speakers would suggest what, 60,70 hz or so? I'm curious why you chose such a high hpf freq. Considering the capability and low distortion of your mains, you could go much lower without compromise.

I choose that frequency because the measurement curve shows the mains rolling off at 100hz...

hmm that is weird. is there any way to boost around 100 for just the mains and get them as flat as possible down to around 40-50 then pick the subs up around there?

Sure I could boost but I don't I was always told that you never want to boost, you want to pull down the peaks.

i have heard the same but if you whole spectrum is flat except for one spot how can you do that? see what i'm saying? so i would try just boosting a little around there and get your subs in the mix quite a bit lower. you should never feel you have too much bass if your response if flat. also should never know you have subs unless they are off

My EQ has a HPF option..

I choose that frequency because the measurement curve shows the mains rolling off at 100hz...

obviously you cant move k horns anywhere. but could you try moving your seat around a bit to see if you are in a weird null spot? other than that if you are not wanting to boost then i would say room treatment is your next option. it still blows my mind that khorns would start to roll off that high. might as well have some la scalas haha easier to place then

i have heard the same but if you whole spectrum is flat except for one spot how can you do that? see what i'm saying? so i would try just boosting a little around there and get your subs in the mix quite a bit lower. you should never feel you have too much bass if your response if flat. also should never know you have subs unless they are off

Another reason for not wanting to boost is my amp is a 2wpc amp and for every 3db of boost you double the load on the amp which can drive it to clipping. I don't hear the subs unless I turn them off there is no localazation...

My EQ has a HPF option..

obviously you cant move k horns anywhere. but could you try moving your seat around a bit to see if you are in a weird null spot? other than that if you are not wanting to boost then i would say room treatment is your next option. it still blows my mind that khorns would start to roll off that high. might as well have some la scalas haha easier to place then

I do have a room null around 70hz that is why I added the second sub, it pretty much killed the null. I have moved the LP back and then forward again. When you move it the whole curve changes..

Since you've gotten your second sub, have you tried turning your crossover on your sub amps down to 50 and dropped the output on your K-horns down to 50?

What do you mean by dropping the khorns to 50???

Let the mains have a signal down to 50 Hz. You said you cut them off at 90 Hz.

Since you've gotten your second sub, have you tried turning your crossover on your sub amps down to 50 and dropped the output on your K-horns down to 50?

What do you mean by dropping the khorns to 50???

Let the mains have a signal down to 50 Hz. You said you cut them off at 90 Hz.

I will give that a try next time i turn it on and have time to play with it...