VAC mono block - Identification help

eth2

Thanks MikeTN and Beeker!

There are a pair for sale on Craigslist. The owner is being very coy about setting a price. He will only say that the "current" model goes for 10k. Any thoughts about these mono blocks and what a "fair" price would be? As I am currently completely out of control, so I need some boundaries. I do love those Khorns though!

Thanks,

Earl

my advise, since you asked...is to search for some single ended tube amps. Exception being the few amps that are in the 95db SNR range. Anything below 85db SNR and your going to hear noise. Especially with horns. Also as anexception, are amps that have been re-stored by recognized craftsmen who seem to understand how a tube amp used with a horn system should sound.

OK. He says they are V70's built around 1998, but I cannot find even one reference to a V70, only the V100. They are about 75 watts/channel. He wants $3,000. Seems like a nice guy and knowledgeable about audio equipment. I think I will call VAC today and see if I can get more information. There are also a set of McIntosh 75's which have just been gone through by a certified Mac tech on Craigslist for $3,200.

CECAA850,

Thanks. I have looked at his site. I know that Joe is happy with his SE 84. I really have not seen any other posts about Justin's other amps. I just want to make sure I get an amp and preamp I will not want to switch out in 6 months. Also, I am not sure whether I should first look for a tube pre-amp and use my B&K until I find the proper tube amp. I was a little too slow and USNRET got Craig's pre-amp a few minutes before I wrote.

I spent some time on the phone with VAC today. They are very friendly and helpful. They think the V70 would be a good choice.

Edited by eth2

Knowing what you know for the power they are each..used i'd be careful. those are not ordinary power tubes in there as well they look to have nice stainless bottoms. Time on tubes and the amps thereselves. I have been around some vac amps and know they can get pricey but what you have learned us now says about $1800 would be a good offer unless he has a recent copy of being serviced as well as identification of those tubes on paper just to make sure everything ads up. very much fun and luck to you

edit:i keep journal of all tubes i have in my collection. The better the tube the more info i keep on paper its a pain but iv learned its best from other expensive hobbies. you can tell if ones made up just tough to oppose somebody of a tacky journal but with a good amp its same as a good car to me anymore a little better than a car

Edited by beeker
  • Like 3

Beeker,

Based on what you are telling me, I guess I will pass on the V70's. I just do not know enough to spend that kind of money on an unknown amp. If it was being sold by someone on the Forum I would feel more comfortable. Thank you so much for your advice.

CECAA850,

It will be interesting to see the cost of the upgrades, USNRET said he may post that info once he gets it.

• Like 1

CECAA850,It will be interesting to see the cost of the upgrades, USNRET said he may post that info once he gets it.

I've heard that pre on his Belles. Sounds really nice. He's using the Peach NOSvalve VRD's (sorry) and Belles. I think he has a Tercel for a phono stage. It's hard to say what component in the chain contributes how much to the overall sound but the combo is really nice.

Edited by CECAA850

Mike (USNRET) is selling his Peach. That's no slouch.

EDIT, it's line stage only FWIW.

Ok, while it may be construed as a shameless plug / thread crapping, if you want to try a tube pre-amp you really might consider my Peach. It has zero / zip issues and has proven to play well with both tube and SS amps. I don't know what upgrades Mark has in mind but the original sounds mighty good. I just couldn't pass up checking out Craig's new offing which was line stage only as well (I use a Tercel II phono stage)

Carl, correction I have NOSValves VRDs.

Edited by USNRET

OK - My amp decision was made (kind of). I placed two "competitive' (read as buyer friendly) bids on Audiogon yesterday. I hoped that one might come through. One was for a PA90 with the "e' upgrade, and the other was for a PA80/80. Unfortunately, they were BOTH accepted. So now I have two tube amps. And with this, my purchasing days have come to a close. I am breathlessly anticipating the arrival of the Peach, which Mark will upgrade next week (thanks Mike) and the amps - one of which I will pickup on Saturday and the other is being shipped from Texas (if not Texas or Florida, where else?)

Anyone have any experience with either of these VAC amps?

Thanks

Edited by eth2
  • Like 1