External amp for Synergy bookshelf speakers

Skylinestar

I'm using Klipsch Synergy B3 and C2 as LCR, with S2 & B3 for surrounds...making my 7.1 setup. All driven from Denon 3312 AVR.

I normally play my movies at -10dB. I would like to go higher (-5 or 0dB if possible) but I'm worried about my AVR limit as it's 7-ch driven.

I don't know if it's the limit of these bookshelf speaker woofer/tweeter capability or it is screaming for more power.

Should I spend the money on external amp? I'm thinking of Crown XLS2000 DriveCore amps for the LCR.

or

Should I spend the money by upgrading my speaker to the Reference series which are more sensitive and sound better at loud volumes? I'm looking at RF82ii or KL650THX.

Do you dare to run your Synergy bookshelf speakers to reference level?

Please advise.

• Moderators
I don't know if it's the limit of these bookshelf speaker woofer/tweeter capability or it is screaming for more power.

I'm not sure a Synergy Series bookshelf would ever be screaming for more power. If you begin to turn up the volume and they begin to sound harsh or distorted, likely your amp is beginning to clip. You definitely don't want to hear distortion in your speakers.

My honest opinion is if you aren't satisfied with the sound of your Synergy setup, consider upgrading your speakers instead of trying to feed them power from a Crown XLS2000 amp. You would hear MUCH more improvement by upgrading your speakers than by adding a power amp to the speakers that you have.

I would think the THX Ultra II speakers are in a different league than the RF-82ii's. If you listen to music, I've heard the THX Ultra II aren't that great for 2ch listening. They were designed for movies. The RF-82ii would be a better fit if you enjoy both HT and 2ch.

I've owned a lot of the Reference Series and absolutely love them, especially for movies.

Your Denon 3312 is more than enough to power that system. I have a Denon AVR 791 powering RF-7ii's, RC-7, and 4 RS-35's.

I was worried it couldn't handle it, but it handles them very well and I have heard other RF-7iis that are amp powered and I could not tell a difference.

I was not doing a side by side, but it will run them louder than I am willing to listen.

I have an old cheap Sony AVR running B-2 synergy bookshelves with C-2 and it does fine with them.

Your speakers are your weak link. If you want to listen to loud music, Synergy bookshelves are not going to do it like a set of Reference towers.

Should I spend the money by upgrading my speaker to the Reference series which are more sensitive and sound better at loud volumes? I'm looking at RF82ii or KL650THX.

Do you dare to run your Synergy bookshelf speakers to reference level?

I say you can run your speakers as loud as you want as long as you don't reach the point of distortion.

Regarding sensitivity, my RF-3ii's connected in place of the B-2's were significantly louder without changing anything on the AVR.

Speakers are the way to get more sound and improve SQ. Bigger speakers have bigger enclosures and will out perform small speakers. Bookshef speakers make a nice nearfield setup for music.

I also have a Sony avr on my VF 35's. The Sony is solid an not a bad avr even though they don't get much love from audiophiles, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

if you must stick with bookshelfs, really, any of the reference line with 8" drivers will treat you well. I brought them to a party one night, just a few friends and myself in the poconos and my HK pushed my RB-5's hard with zero distortion. It was almost like having DJ speakers. Absolutely zero inhibitions with suggesting this.

The RF-82's will pound for sure.

Edited by SuBXeRo

Synergy = not designed for reference playback levels. And depending on how big your room is reference level could be hard for the 82/62 combo as well. The thx line is reference capable in a 3000 cuft room. My room is half that and I watch at reference once in a while no problem.

Thx are gonna be more power hungry than any reference speaker. Keep that in mind.

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 1

Synergy = not designed for reference playback levels. And depending on how big your room is reference level could be hard for the 82/62 combo as well. The thx line is reference capable in a 3000 cuft room. My room is half that and I watch at reference once in a while no problem.

Thx are gonna be more power hungry than any reference speaker. Keep that in mind.

My room is 15'x25x9'. My listening distance is about 12 feet. I guess the RF82 isn't enough.

Talk about a quality jump from synergy to thx 659s :/ youvwill want an amp for those but you would be in audio nirvana. They are suited more for movies the reference line is better suited and more flexible without needing an amp. Not saying an amp won't benefit you regardless of your speaker choice if just get some reference towers, listen to them and go from there.