Balanced v Single Ended

eth2

it could make a difference and it could not, and then it could might.

it could make a difference if the equipment env is subject to very high radiated interference that may be picked up by inter connect wire

it could not make a difference if that radiation is being transmitted thru power lines and power supplies

it could might make a difference if you have wacky gear like what I have in which the amp with out any connections at all will hum if the input selector is in RCA mode, and will not hum if the input selector is in XLR mode.

so, yes, no, maybe.

it could make a difference if the equipment env is subject to very high radiated interference that may be picked up by inter connect wire

it could not make a difference if that radiation is being transmitted thru power lines and power supplies

it could might make a difference if you have wacky gear like what I have in which the amp with out any connections at all will hum if the input selector is in RCA mode, and will not hum if the input selector is in XLR mode.

so, yes, no, maybe.

So as Vinny Barbarino would say, "I'm so confused!"

If you haven't had issues in the past and your cabling is in the same area as before then you should be fine.

I have about a 15'run of cheapo Monoprice RCA's in my garage. They're draped by an outlet a fluorescent work lamp and 2 power strips. They're quiet as can be.

For short runs, unbalanced will typically be quieter and lower distortion while also being cheaper to implement. That said, nicer circuits tend to also come with balanced connector options which I think leads to the misleading paradigm of the balanced interconnect sounding better.

Btw, for a short run you can actually get a better CMRR with a properly shielded unbalanced cable.

so, yes, no, maybe.

So as Vinny Barbarino would say, "I'm so confused!"

Let me simplify -- no, you don't need balanced outputs!

you need to try and decide for your self

I have amps that sound gooder with xlr and I have other amps that sound gooder with rca. you are basically asking us to guess what you have and tell you which connection will sound gooder on your amp.