QSC PLX 1104 $300 shipped, BIN

Rivernuggets

It'd be overkill for a horn sub but it would work. It would be incredible as a garage amp for a couple of industrial or professional sspeakers. I have the PLX2's (sounds identical to the PLX) in my HT. They have a really smooth top end and can absolutely pound out the bottom end. They're one of the best sounding pro-amps out there.

Way overkill for a horn sub. What part of PLUS 20 db of acoustic gain don't people still get? 20 dbWatts is 100 times more power than Zero dbWatts, or 100 watts vs. 1 watt. the less power you use, the lower the IM distortion. PERIOD....................proven by PWK decades ago, yet ineffiecient "air pushers" still exits. AMAZING the power of Hi Fi magazines!!!

10 Watts on a horn sub is like 1,000 watts on a direct radiator, with the accompanying increase in harmonic and IM distortion. You must choose, brothers, you must choose.

BUT, with all that said, it's a SPACE trade-off. Power is cheap compared to lumber and living room space, so the compromise shall continue to propagate as a good choice.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

It's a versatile amp to play around with, though. If this (or other PLX2) amp is for your living room replace the cooling fan with this:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/3110SB-05W-B20-E00/P14751-ND/2615564

Understood. I had a killer Carver PT2400, which is similar.............seems to have limitless power for TH or DR subs. It's a great deal at this price for "limitless" power down low.

Edited by ClaudeJ1