Cartridge comments please?

jazman

I've mentioned before the plan to upgrade my analog playback system which is currently a Rega 3 turntable, with RB300 tonearm. I've been waiting months for the arrival of a VPI Aries Scout turntable. VPI has had high demand for their new product and currently has only managed to acheive production sufficient to fill orders placed in May. That's me(at last) and my table is due at the dealer sometime this week. Because I have to achieve the upgrade "poor man" style, I will for the short run utilize the RB300 tonearm until money is saved for the VPI JMW 9 tonearm. Now a budget cartridge choice must be made. Again this is a short run type of choice, with budget not to exceed $400. Here's my short list from the Elusive Disc inventory where I'm purchasing the TT. Anyone who has used one please give your impressions.

BENZ MICRO MC SILVER PHONO CARTRIDGE

CLEARAUDIO AURUM BETA MK II CARTRIDGE 3.4mV

CLEARAUDIO AURUM BETA S MK II CARTRIDGE 3.5mV

DYNAVECTOR 10 X 4 MC PHONO CARTRIDGE 2.5mV

DYNAVECTOR 10 X 4 MC PHONO CARTRIDGE 2.5mV

SUMIKO BLUE POINT SPECIAL CARTRIDGE

The music of choice will be mostly Jazz.

Klipsch out.

2 Channel System

1974 Belle Klipsch

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs

Cary SLP90L Preamplifier

Asusa PP-1 Phono preamplifier,modified

Rega 3 turntable, RB300 tonearm; Grado

Rega Planet CD player

AudioQuest Bedrock speaker cables

Silver Audio Hyacinth interconnects

Edmond, I will be listening to the Benz Micro via Progressive-Engineering's The Table in the next few weeks if I can get a proper MC headamp to borrow. I have loved the Sumiko Blue Point/Special for the great sound and bargain. It has the open quality of tubes and brings the music to life. There are many others that are great as well, including some others on your list.

If still in the market, I will give you a heads up on the sound after some breakin and listening.

the_table.jpg

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-15-2002 at 11:42 PM

Mobile,

Thanks. It looks like a Benz Micro Glider on the Incognito wired RB300 arm, a bit out of my range for this purchase. Can you give me some hints on the others which may be worthwhile. I've wanted to put a MC in my system for some time. The Benz Micro Silver, on price alone, has been a slight leader in my mind, but I fear it may be too relaxed. On the other side, MM, there's the Clear Audio Beta and Beta S. With the table coming in this week, I'll be sending in my Rega arm for mounting to the table and installing the cartridge. Can you let me in on your "gut" choices?

Klipsch out.

Jazman,

I am also on the lookout for a cartridge and am considering the Shelter units which are a little above the amount you are looking to spend, however.

During the course of my investigations one cartridge keeps coming up as real bargain and that is the Denon 103. This is well within your price range (at about $350 over there although it seems cheaper here for some strange reason).

I have heard this cartridge on a Rega 250 arm (on the much mentioned, by me, acoustic solid machine) and it sounded truely excellent.

An interesting link for all things cartridges is http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Cartridges.html

The guy is a bit snotty but he does give you the top down cartridge story and rates the 103 very highly indeed.

Hope some of this helps.

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm

max,

Thanks again. This time for a nice link. A Benz Micro Glider is my projected long term solution and received favorable comments. It's the interim short term choice for use over the next few months that's giving me heck. Since I'm pretty much locked in to purchasing from the turntable dealer, the lower cost Benz Micro or Clear Audio Aurum Beta will provide some trade-in value.

Klipsch out.

Jazman,

Just out of interest what phono-stage are you using? Does your pre-amp have one already or are you going for a separate unit?

My quest, in conjunction with the cartridge is a phono stage that wont break the bank (my existing Pro-ject phono box just wont be up to the job).

It seems there is a plethora of phono-stages hitting the market right now and the reviews are almost useless (they love them all).

Any thoughts?

All interested in a phono stage, please read this review of the Wright Sound unit (and Audio Note Stepup devices). Quite the rave and seems genuine.

Download it as it is a .pdf file from Listener Magazine. It's a bit over 1mb but worth a look. Make sure you see to rotate the review clockwise with your Adobe Acrobat. It starts off with a review of the Galante Rhapsody speakers - The Wright comes next.

Listener Wright Sound Review (w/Galante review first)

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/Listener_wright_phono.pdf

Kelly

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-16-2002 at 08:52 AM

max,

I'm using a seperate phono pre. An ASUSA model PP-1, modified by Tim Tutay,(a high end audio tweaker). My Cary, if the phono section was included, would employ 12AX7 tubes and the little PP-1 uses 12AX7s. It's been a good match, has L and R channel gain control, and will handle high output MC, was inexpensive at $350 including the shipping. You can find a pic in the archives "Bi-wiring Belles" a 1-25-02 post by me, with link to "Chrome modified Phono Preamp". I don't know if they are available now, but I could give you the name of the person I purchased mine from. Without a doubt I will upgrade sometime in the future but there are still some tweeks that can be done with this unit I have not explored, but this is a good piece, not the best.

PS. max, The Wright and AES units were two of my candidates at the time I bought the PP-1.

sunnysal,

I do like Grado's and their Reference line. Grado's have been a favorite of mine since listening to them long ago being used at the former KJAZ radio station in the SF Bay area. It's the desire to have a taste of the MC sound, more than anything else, that's pushing me along at the moment. Maybe I'll get over it.

Klipsch out.

This message has been edited by jazman on 07-16-2002 at 04:37 PM

Jack(ozheresy),

The two problems with the Denon DL103 are, it's harder to find than hens teeth, and I would need a high output version which does not seem to be for sale. The last one I saw for sale was a low output version, 0.3mv, and it was purchased in Germany. There are no known outlets in the US.

Here at the eleventh hour, I've decided to spring for the VPI JMW 9 tonearm to go along with the Scout turntable which will eat away my cartridge budget and force me to settle for something a bit more modest than my original plan. I'll have to be patient and hopefully upgrade the cartridge to a Benz Glider later in the year.

Klipsch out.

jazman,

Recently, I found myself in very similar situation to yours. Long story short, I went with a Benz Micro Ace (red) because of the upgrade path availability. The Ace comes in three output levels to accomodate just about any phono stage.

Listened to quite a few carts before realizing no cart was going to sound in my system like it sounded at audition. You're so close to both Musical Surroundings and Sumiko maybe they could offer some direction. Vinyl equipment choices in Southern California can be scarce. Most of the high end vinyl boys down here want you to make an appointment and probably charge a "co-payment". However, they do offer a cold beverage and free rolfing while listening.

Regards,

Chris

------------------

click below to see my rig

http://cgi.AudioAsylum.com/systems/2235.html

This message has been edited by cjk1026 on 07-22-2002 at 08:32 AM

Chris(cjk1026),

The BM Ace is one I've heard in a system and would be a good choice. It gets close to the Glider in price, so I'm going to wait for Glider cash to emerge. For the next few months I've decided to live with one of the Clear Audio Aurum Alpha or Aurum Beta MMs. After much, much, discussion with the owner of the Elusive Disc, he advises the Aurums are better than the Dynavector 10x4 MC. When I decided to forego using my RB300 arm and go with the VPI JMW 9 arm, the cartridge budget went from "around" $400 to just about $200.

Why am I not using the RB300? It was a decision on my part, not a sales talk, to upgrade based on perceived value and price. The JMW Memorial arms have been very highly regarded since they have been on the market, they have better internal wiring than a stock RB300, and they have VTA. Incognito/Cardas wiring, Origin Live, and Audio Note Silver wiring are all an additional minimum of $200 to get the RB300 to perform to the level of your special RB250, plus an additional $150 to add a special VPI VTA adaptor. The JMW 9 does not have the easy microscopic VTA adjustments of the other JMW arms, but should perform better than most arms. I also plan to sell my Rega3/RB300 combo after I've made sure there are no hitches or warts with the the new VPI TT/arm combo to recover some cash.

So for better or worse, I have decided to compromise the immediate choice of cartridge for a better tonearm. When everything is added up, I'm spending less than I would have on the Clear Audio TT/Special RB300 combination by a few hundred dollars. Only time will determine if I receive comparable value.

It's tough being a vinyl junkie!

Klipsch out.

This message has been edited by jazman on 07-23-2002 at 03:19 AM

Full sympathies Jazman - I am going through the same thing and the possible combinations are driving my nuts.

I am now beginning to doubt my choice of TT too - so everything is hovering in mid air.

Add to this the fact that my current really modest TT (The Project RPM4) is performing its socks off (run-in?) and I am really at a loss as to what to do.

The default option right now seems to be to do nothing and stay with what I have got for the time being - spending my money on vinyl instead.

This, at least is proving to be successful. I picked up another 25 albums on Saturday ranging from Beethoven's 3rd symphony to Elvis to the Pet shop boys.

So far I have played about 6 of them and they are all fabulous - no pops, clicks and hiss - just pure music.

The best thing is that I sold 20 DVD disks for considerably more than the 25 records cost. If I continue at the current rate I could have enough money to get another 200 albums and a replacement TT.

In the meantime this TT / Arm / Cartridge / Phono stage dilemma is driving me to drink (mainly beer whilst listening to the new albums).

Ah well - you win some - you win some.

I've heard the AT OC9 and it sounds very good to me. I am currently still using my vintage MA 2002 cartrdge in my system. I also own a mid level Grado and while it's not bad, the MA is just vastly superior overall. I know everyone likes to bash Shure but the top of the line model is still one of the best out there. If nothing else it's probably more honest than many of the moving coil cartridges.