Sub with KLF-20's

slovell

As mentioned, xo one octave above is a good rule of thumb. I suggested 80 Hz or a little lower. This will allow for the least distortion, increase dynamic for the midbass and up, and increase avr/amp headroom. There will be less speaker cone breakup with the speaker not having to reproduce deep bass. If one is using a sub, what is the point trying to get the speaker to do the subs job. Those funny little square boxes were desing for only one purpose, reproducing bass. Any speaker that does not have a 15 in woofer or two 12 in woofers can benefit from a sub.

Edited by derrickdj1

• 2 months later...

I cross over KLF-30's at 80Hz and subs at 80Hz also. I really don't know why, perhaps it's because my subs do such a great job but without the subs on, running the KLF's large the bass seems to be lacking. For two twelve inch woofers per speaker there doesn't seem to be much punch. Don't get me wrong I still love them. I don't know about the KLF 20's but 80Hz with sub would be my suggestion.

• Like 1

As I previously mentioned, I cross my 30's over at 40 hz. What I failed to mention is that the 30's kick a** in the bass department even without a sub. I ran my HT for quite a while without a sub and with great bass. When I wanted more, I added a sub. If your 30's are lacking bass, something IS WRONG. These speakers move some air! Unless, of course, something is wrong. I'd get it checked out. I'm not techinically inclined, but some of these other guys are and I would ask for help in how to trouble shoot for malfunctions, either in the speakers or the sub or the other electronics.

Hmmmm. Sounds like you guys opened up a can of worms for me or I opened them up for myself! I replaced both sets of woofers with Crites woofers and if I was just using the KLF's without a sub I'd feel very lacking in the bass department. I thought it was because my subs made it a night and day difference but sounds like you could be onto something. I'm happy all the same because the subs do nearly all the work but got me thinking. might try my KG 5.5's up front to see if they have any more bass without subs on. I do have a fairly good appetite for bass and maybe the preamp settings causing this? I run large setting and disable sub but not a huge difference to when set to small? I may leave it if the KG 5.5's yield a similar result and try my old receiver which I know was fine.

Edited by Aj72
  • Like 1

without the subs on, running the KLF's large the bass seems to be lacking

I would investigate. KLF-30's lacking bass....something's not right.

There could be a whole list of things wrong with KLF-30's right out of the box....they've had their issues straight from the factory. Loose panels/cabinets is the first thing that comes to mind. That could cause a loss of bass right there but I'd check everything from placement, location, connections etc.

I've heard plenty of KLF-30's sound terrible for one reason or another. Fixed up properly and they're a world class speaker. The same can be true for many other Klipsch models but it's well worth the effort to find out what's wrong.

....or maybe you are just running your subs hot and when you turn them off it seems as if the bass is lacking?

"....or maybe you are just running your subs hot and when you turn them off it seems as if the bass is lacking?"

This is what I think to be the culprit. I do like my bass and do run hot around +14. I have dual eighteen inch subs which would skew anyone's judgement once turning them off. I think it's possibly just a case of bass addiction here. Definitely no loose panels. I run a short jumper wire from the two red's and two black's for each speaker with a Banana plug connected to the bottom corresponding color with the speaker wire then connecting to corresponding color binding post on amplifier. Red to Red (short jumper wire connects two binding post on speaker) then bottom Red binding post Speaker to Red binding post on Amplifier for corresponding channel. Same for black. Sorry OP didn't mean to hijack thread. :)

Edited by Aj72
  • Like 1