Highly technical question

eth2

Even with an orbital sander you have to be very careful. The best method is plain old block sanding. Make sure you know the depth of your veneer before sanding. Start by using rough sandpaper like 120 grit letting it do the work (don't press down while sanding), then move to a finer grit sandpaper like 220-400 grit. After that oil or otherwise finish. If you want to get a finish that looks like a gun stalk, very shiny and durable, look into tung oil and use either 0000 steel wool or 600 grit wet-sand paper.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

A belt sander on speakers?????!!!!!!! Arrrrrrrgh.

Oh sure. NOW you tell me!

Oh, and remember to practice on the bottom of the speaker first, in case you make a mistake. B) (wvu80 ducks and runs)

Some day I will learn to ask you guys FIRST!

That is the exact reason I came to this forum just about a month ago. I had just acquired a pair of 20 year-old CF-4's and they needed major refurbishing. I had never done any refinishing before these speakers, so I was totally in the dark.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149241-epic-cf4-needs-overhaul/

I got incredibly good support and advice from the Klipsch forumites, and I didn't touch those speakers without consulting them on every little move. My speakers took a LOT of time, all sanded by hand, but I think they turned out pretty decent. You can check out my thread for recommendations on what grit sandpaper works for what purpose when working on this veneer.

post-58280-0-46020000-1399002641_thumb.j

Edit: I just saw Mr. Mustang Guy's post, directly upstream. He and I met "off-air" in the last week, and I got a chance to see his restoration work. THAT is the guy you want to listen to! B)

+++

Secret coded message to Mr. Mustang Guy: "The dryer is drying the towels, the dryer is drying the towels."

Decoded, this means you were exactly correct about me switching the wires. :rolleyes:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

go to lowes and get a palm random orbit sander

I have a Dewalt as well. I've had it 4 or 5 years and use it frequently. It's one of those tools you kick yourself for not getting sooner.

Guess I'll have to buy another Random Orbital. Then mine will come out of hiding. At least that's the way it usually works.

Do you think tools get lonely?

Some day I will learn to ask you guys FIRST!

That is the exact reason I came to this forum just about a month ago. I had just acquired a pair of 20 year-old CF-4's and they needed major refurbishing. I had never done any refinishing before these speakers, so I was totally in the dark.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149241-epic-cf4-needs-overhaul/

I got incredibly good support and advice from the Klipsch forumites, and I didn't touch those speakers without consulting them on every little move. My speakers took a LOT of time, all sanded by hand, but I think they turned out pretty decent. You can check out my thread for recommendations on what grit sandpaper works for what purpose when working on this veneer.

attachicon.gifIMG_3764.JPG

Edit: I just saw Mr. Mustang Guy's post, directly upstream. He and I met "off-air" in the last week, and I got a chance to see his restoration work. THAT is the guy you want to listen to! B)

+++

Secret coded message to Mr. Mustang Guy: "The dryer is drying the towels, the dryer is drying the towels."

Decoded, this means you were exactly correct about me switching the wires. :rolleyes:

I have had some misfortune with power sanders from an air rasp to a belt sander to an orbital, so I know there is nothing better than using your own power, and just taking your time. The prettiest finish I ever achieved was using tung oil, and about 6 coats. The hardest finish I ever applied by hand was but with fantastic results was bri wax. That stuff will wear your arms out, but it looks drop dead gorgeous.

I want to state that there are many many folks here on these forums who are much better at woodworking than I will ever be. Some of Greg Robert's work is as good as it gets anywhere, for instance. I am a bug... ;)

I am glad you got your dryer up and running. You are persistent, and you dominated that contraption! Good work my friend!