Affordable Acoustic Foam

SuBXeRo

In my travels i came across Foam Factory which has a ton of acoustical foam. A lot of looks to be fairly priced.

For instance these foam wedges:

http://www.foambymail.com/MIW/monitor-isolation-wedge.html

I bought the auralex versions of these and spent like 4X the cost. I know a lot in here like doing foam shtuff so i hope this helps!! I haven't bought anything from here so i can't speak from first hand experience but it looks legit to me.

• Like 2

I agree with Beeker and Derrick. The prices on this site are far lower than any I've seen. I like the acoustic broadband foam. A guy could make his own anechoic chamber. 32 square feet of it is about $100. For a small room, say 10'X12'X8' (592 sf), the cost to do a whole room including floors and ceiling would be less than $2,000.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 3

Before i buy anymore speakers I would like to do just that build an anechoic chamber. Ya know...I really appreciate all the knowledge of this forum and would indeed like to build my own speakers. Its a pipedream although for the best results you must indeed use an anechoic chamber. It would be nice to get a gang together to buy this stuff to build the chamber and send the parts/pieces around to each to test certain design/s. For klipsch to even share the fact they use a chamber such as what they have is astonishing as well as the fact it is used and provides the best results possible. Guaranteed other manufacturers have chambers they do not share the facts of having one for their use.

That is a very good price though....wholesale...there is or was a guy near Indianapolis who had access to this material in excess and for a great amount of cu. ft. his prices were $100 and some less for multiple types and variations in amount...A lot for the money...I never have contacted him and still wonder if he is around...he at one point in time and still may have his treatment for sale on clist...amazing prices for boxes and boxes...

I also seen a guy not far from me on clist with actual egg holders the fiber type for free....A good 400sq ft full or more stacked from floor to ceiling a month or so ago...not sure how well it would perform although it seemed ugly and I have no room for such an amount at tis time nor a room to make such a chamber. It is a goal of mine to have a chamber very siple in design although very useful and accurate. 1 thing at a time I guess for now lol

• Like 3

Before i buy anymore speakers I would like to do just that build an anechoic chamber. Ya know...I really appreciate all the knowledge of this forum and would indeed like to build my own speakers. Its a pipedream although for the best results you must indeed use an anechoic chamber. It would be nice to get a gang together to buy this stuff to build the chamber and send the parts/pieces around to each to test certain design/s. For klipsch to even share the fact they use a chamber such as what they have is astonishing as well as the fact it is used and provides the best results possible. Guaranteed other manufacturers have chambers they do not share the facts of having one for their use.

The chamber is a theoretical known. What really matter is how the speakers sound in room.

As long as you are not moving to a new location after you build the speakers, you will probably have better results and be happier with the in room results. Find your position and voice appropriately.

The chamber allows everyone to say they have a good baseline for measurements which likely won't correlate very well to what you hear in room.

• Like 1

The chamber is a theoretical known. What really matter is how the speakers sound in room.

As long as you are not moving to a new location after you build the speakers, you will probably have better results and be happier with the in room results. Find your position and voice appropriately.

The chamber allows everyone to say they have a good baseline for measurements which likely won't correlate very well to what you hear in room.

Definitely good tool for speaker builders and DIY'ers. Also a good place to get some distortion free listening.

These are great prices, thank you for sharing! This may be painfully obvious, but if I bought the acoustic grid or pyramid and tried to surround them in maybe printable canvas to put another design on, would that essentially ruin the effect or would the sound still go through and "die" in the foam?

Might be too subjective a question, but this is something I definitely want to employ in the future.

akdave, I don't care for the shape of the acoustic grid. They don't even show a report for sound absorption, and I figure it is because it doesn't measure that well. Before adding room treatments, you should have a specific goal in mind. For instance, if you are getting high frequency reflections from your mains, and you want to calm that down, you might add appropriate absorption materials strategically placed on the walls next to those speakers.

eth2, yes they do. There are some very nice looking ceiling tiles, and you can get well hangings printed with your favorite images. I forget the company, but they were discussing it a while back here in the forums. Sound treatments can be done with tact. :)

• Like 3

Regardless if I were to build speakers and test all of what i have owned and still own a chamber would provide the ultimate results...

A chamber is bar none the best way to go...sure my final room may vary although a full chamber tells even more in comparison than any normal room period...that was my point and goal...cheers :)