OT, latest project.

CECAA850

• Moderators

Well the port is on the bottom, could be why ? And your right about automotive acoustics, completely different from a house. For some reason it seems to take much more in the smaller space to get the same results as a room ?

Many cars have enough power that it would blow out windows in a living room. I don't get it, Is it rated different, different driver specs as in less efficient ?

Is it rated different, different driver specs as in less efficient ?

As far as I know the drivers are rated at 1 watt/meter just like home drivers. I believe his was 91 dB.

Edited by CECAA850

Automotive acoustics are strange, just like living rooms. We haven't measured it but it actually sounds louder in the passenger front seat than it does in the drivers front seat.

Facing the driver towards the rear of the cab will help.

Automotive acoustics are strange, just like living rooms. We haven't measured it but it actually sounds louder in the passenger front seat than it does in the drivers front seat.

Facing the driver towards the rear of the cab will help.

It could very well help but the box is built and in the truck. He'll be OK with it the way it is. There's no way to spin the box due to the port being right up against the rear wall of the cab if rotated.

• Moderators
As far as I know the drivers are rated at 1 watt/meter just like home drivers. I believe his was 91 dB.

Well the only thing it could be is the small size of the listening area, possibly compared to the length of a bass note, mid and high freq aren't a problem in cars usually just the bass requires more. ?

Well the only thing it could be is the small size of the listening area, possibly compared to the length of a bass note, mid and high freq aren't a problem in cars usually just the bass requires more. ?

Automotive subwoofers almost always work better aimed at the back of the car or truck or cab, a hatchback will sometimes work better with the driver facing up with the hatch angle almost working as a horn. There are some exceptions but this is a general rule. Experimentation is the key.

Cabin gain starts even higher in frequency and multiplies to a greater extent because of the small confined space and can make low bass notes to be too much in the small space almost drowning midbass notes if tuned too low.

Automotive subwoofers almost always work better aimed at the back of the car or truck or cab, a hatchback will sometimes work better with the driver facing up with the hatch angle almost working as a horn. There are some exceptions but this is a general rule. Experimentation is the key.

Cabin gain starts even higher in frequency and multiplies to a greater extent because of the small confined space and can make low bass notes to be too much in the small space almost drowning midbass notes if tuned too low.

I have read that there is no cabin gain on dipole subs tuned above 30Hz. I don't have first hand experience on the topic, but when Carl and I were PMing, this thread came up:

Does Anyone Understand Cabin Gain

I am not trying to be provocative, I am simply trying to better understand. What do you think of the article/thread Jason?

Judging from my experience i think any car subwoofer benefits from cabin gain but i have not used measurement tools, just my ears or built any bandpass subs (not a big fan).

I spent quite some time experimenting with sub placement & box types with a Dodge conversion van years back and found by far the best placement was under the rear seat/folding bed facing back at the rear doors, then tried both ported & sealed box types with different tuning and ended up with a ported box tuned at 40 Hz. This kept the bass tight & response reasonably flat without having to use much EQ.

Since most car subs are in the trunk mounting options are limited but always seem to work best firing at the back of the trunk.

Placement is important but so is a properly tuned system, i like bass but don't like it to overpower the rest of the system.

There is some more information here. Link

I have built a dozen systems or maybe a bit more and helped out friends in the past and don't consider myself a know it all expert by any means but do try to help out where i can with what knowledge i have.