finally got to upgrade

me2late4u

10 year old onkyo TX-sr703 receiver and 10-25 year old 7.1 speaker set up finally gone. All the speakers were mix matched Infinity, jbl and polk. Happy to finall get the klipsch set up --- never realized I could by these at cost through my company..... scored awsome deal on 2-rf7-ii , 1-rc-62-ii , 4-rb61-ii and sw-112 sub all brand new. Never new how good movies should really sound. Got someone buying my old set up and getting the Oknyo TXNR-929. This way i can biamp the fronts and keep the 7.1 set up.

It's like being a kid again !!! Just finished watching Lord of the rings again and I'm in ahwww.

• Like 2

I like the tech on the 929, superb choice. You will have options! If you would, update us on how you eventually set things up and how it all sounds. I'm not sure but I think you could probably run 11 speakers, wife permitting.

I have the 717 (7.2) but I am running in straight 5.1. I have tried bi-amping, and frankly I could not hear much difference so I switched back so I could get more familiar with how it sounds before switching again.

Then I think I would like to try 5.1 with bi-amping, and run wides. I'm not interested in 7.1, but I lose the 7.1 if I run bi-amp so it's not a big deal to me. I have plenty of speakers, it's just a matter of swapping speakers in and out of the living room without affecting the WAF in a negative way.

Thanks all - sorry been super busy- 2 pool leauges and blackhawks games... Go Hawks !!!

Anyway's, the receiver got here yesterday and 12 awg speaker wire and banana plugs from mono price arrive tomorrow. Will complete the re installation this weekend.

scrappydue - you think the rc-64 will make that big of a diffrence over the rc-62. This is not that big of a room 18 x 15. I only got the rf-7ii's instead of the rf-8ii's's due to the great price i could get. I was considering adding a second subwoofer in the rear of the room. Not sure which would be better to do first. If i go with the rc-64 then i got a brand new 2 week old rc-62 to try and sell.

wvu80 - i will let you know how it all sounds next week. Yes the tx-nr929 is expandable with an external 2 channel amp to 11.2. If i don't notice much diffrence from biamping then i'll consider adding the front highs instead.

Welcome to the forum!

A word of warning. We are VERY good at helping you spend your money. :D

Congrats on the system! It's gonna sound huge, and I bet you will hate going to movie theaters, because the sound just won't come close to your home theater.

• Like 1

Do I think it's a huge upgrade? Not for the price. Do I think it will be a marginal upgrade yes. The tweeter are much larger in the 64ii however I have actually never heard it. So without hearing the 7ii and 62ii together I can't give you an experienced opinion. I will say that if you had my setup, the 63's and 64, that for the price, and this is my opinion, the 64 is not even close to double the performance of the 62. And to me, paying double the price for a few percent better is not worth it.

It's been a few days Mr. MeTooLate, how has the full upgrade gone? That Onk has so many features and setup options it wouldn't surprise me if it took a month or more to make your changes and decide what you like. You have some critical listening to do, and that's probably hard to do with the wife and kids in the house.

I just moved my Klipsch CF-4's to the living room and set it up using the Onk 717's Audyssey. I think Aud did a really good job matching my different speakers, setting the Cf-4's to -4db relative to reference level, and set my decent MTM center to +2db to keep up with the Klipsch's. Aud picked the XO points on all speakers right out of the spec sheet, crossing over at 40 on L/C/F.