Heading up to Heaven, Hell or Houston for my Brother's 60th Birthday

LonestarBlues2

My older brother turns 60 Saturday, May 24th. My sister & I are driving up to Katy/West Houston for his Birthday tomorrow. Going to have a get together for my brother's birthday at my nephew's house in Katy. Looking forward to getting to see my Grand Nieces-age 7 & 9 months & Grand Nephews-age 5 & 3.

I have never cared much for/liked the Big City of Houston, it's a nice place to visit, but I sure wouldn't want to live there. Houston is way too big and way too much of Rat Race for me. My brother & sister in law always used to tell me that Katy wasn't Houston. Ha, its approximately 20 miles or so from Houston proper. The traffic is horrendous, I have been caught up in rush hour traffic on the Katy Freeway/I10 way too many times. I don't know how people that live in Houston cope with the frickin' traffic. My reference in the title of my post Heaven, Hell or Houston is a ZZ Top song.

I am on a quest to find & buy some Pearl Beer which I know is sold in Katy at Specs Liquor Store. Corpus Christi does not carry/sell Pearl Beer. A few places carry/sell Pearl Light which is crappy watered down tasting beer in my humble opinion. Andrews Distributing our local beer distributor does not provide/sell Pearl Beer to stores in Corpus Christi. I have asked about Pearl Beer at Specs & Liquid Town liquor stores. A few HEB grocery stores used carry/sell Pearl Beer 14-15 years ago. I like the taste of a good cold Pearl Beer, it's an Old School Texas Beer like Lone Star beer. I'm drinking a good cold Lone Star beer with lime/salt right now.

Edited by LonestarBlues2

• Moderators
My older brother turns 60 Saturday, May 24th. My sister & I are driving up to Katy/West Houston for his Birthday tomorrow. Going to have a get together for my brother's birthday at my nephew's house in Katy. Looking forward to getting to see my Grand Nieces-age 7 & 9 months & Grand Nephews-age 5 & 3.

Just go and have fun, since your going anyway, I'm not crazy about city's either but sometimes you have to.

It's been many years since I have been to Houton as an old Vietnamese friend would say. Last time we went the loop around the city was like the Indy 500 but at about 80-100 mph, but it did include drafting and jockeying for position and maby a push here and there for fun. I always thought New Orleans and Atlanta had the worst drivers but Houston is up there with them.

• Like 2

I've been on the Katy freeway (parking lot) many times. My son played soccer for years and we'd drive back and forth every weekend. I don't recall the exit but we'd make a point of stopping at the Taco Cabana right off the freeway. If you can find it, try their fajitas, it's worth the stop. As far as traffic goes, the people in Houston at least know how to merge, unlike Corpus. They haven't gotten the concept down yet.

• Like 2

San Antonio, Texas was home to both Lone Star Beer Brewery & Pearl Beer Brewery for many many years. Both are closed now. Pabst Brewing Company owns Lone Star Beer & Pearl Beer along with a number of other Beer Companies-Schlitz, Strohs, Pabst Blue Ribbon and a boatload of other brands. Pabst Brewing Company does not own a brewery. Pabst farms out their various brands of beer to be brewed. Lone Star Beer & Pearl Beer are brewed at a Miller Beer Brewery in Fort Worth, Texas.

Back in 1970's when I was a Boyscout. Troop 232 made a weekend trip to San Antonio. We stayed at Fort Sam Houston Army Base and slept in some spare barracks. We toured the various Old Catholic Church Missions around San Antonio. We went to the Lone Star Brewery Musuem. I remember the Lone Star Museum having some weird stuff-a calf with two heads, cows with their horns inverted & growing into their head.

Edited by LonestarBlues2