Speaker Batting, deadener, foam, etc....

philly0116

baffling? I'm not sure what you mean.

You do realize, the dictionary definition of baffling is "to confuse, bewilder, or perplex." :P

+++

I think of the baffle as the outside front of a speaker where the drivers poke through.

I'm guessing you might be referring to some sound deadening material, such as fiber-fill, or some foam sheets.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

My Heresy II's have a foam piece in a U shape going over the woofers. I don't know if they were built that way or if the previous owner did that.

My CF-4's were exactly as you described, with the 3/4" foam, not egg-crate, and placed loosely in the enclosure in a "U" shape. It was not glued to the sides or back. I was told this is factory Klipsch setup. When I opened up my 20 year-old speakers, the foam still looked brand new, no deterioration at all.

+++

I am not an expert, I just read the DIY discussion boards, so please consult others for your choices in final damping materials.

I was told that fiber-fill works well in sealed speakers, a half-pound of fill for each cubic foot of speaker. Fiber fill can be bought from Parts Express type places, but I think most people to go to Wal-mart, as it is pillow stuffing. One pillow per two speakers, that sort of thing. It goes in fluffy, not stuffed, and it is best to distribute it to the entire enclosure, not just behind the woofs.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Microfiber-Pillow-2pk/14657392

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/cabinet-damping-material/311

I did another project where I used standard 3/4" foam sheet in my DIY box, then cut it to fit the box and attached it with a spray adhesive to all surfaces. It seems to be more common to use the foam in ported enclosures.

I haven't used it yet, but using egg-crate foam makes sense to me due to breaking up internal reflections.

+++

The only thing I can tell you definitively is that I thought my CF-4's (two 12" woofs and a 12" or so horn driver, MTM design) had that characteristic Klipsch sound with the harshness in the high frequency range. I took the two 3/4" foam sheets out of the bottom section (left two sections with foam on top) and used about a pound of Wal-mart fiber-fill at the bottom but away from the ports, and that harshness went away! I was left with plenty of low-end (it might have even enhanced the low end) and a MUCH more enjoyable sound overall.

Edited by wvu80

Your local fabric store should stock polyester batting in either sheet or loose fill.

I guess I was WAY over thinking all of this. I was thinking of gluing acoustic dampening foam to the sides and top. I never considered polyester batting or loose fill.

polyester batting is a poor material for low frequencies. There is much you can research outside of speaker sites where this fact has been lost. High density fiberglass is the best available material for low frequency damping. This is for damping of the air volume inside of the cabinet. Fiberglass and other materials used to damp an acoustical volume will have no impact upon cabinet walls. Owens Corning 700 series is the choice of damping material for Architectural Acoustics because it is the best material . Low frequencies are very hard to damp in fact you will not even find measurements for materials below 100 Hz. . Foams and poly fill are only useful for damping from low mid and up.Hope this helps, best regards Moray James.

i used some aircraft grade foam. it's also vibration dampning. check out some of my links in my sig, you will see it. works great. when i got my 7's the both had different "foam" in there and different amounts of it. figured, it couldn't be worse to change it! what i like about the vibration dampning, it took some sound issues out of the speakers. gave me a more solid cabinet.

i would say Dynomat would best compare to what i have. (mine is .5" thick, not sure how think dynomat gets).