FS: Eliptrac 400 pair & ALK Universal Crossovers

shepjk01

I have a set of ALK Universal Crossovers I built a few years ago. They are built exactly to spec

Time to weigh in I think.

What "spec"?

There are now five versions of the "Universal".

What I think is that these are the original versions, which is what was on Al's DIY section before he removed it. The coil looks like a 2.4 instead of a 1.3 or 1.5, I see a 3619, not a 3619-ET, I see the old way of wiring the autoformer, and I see a bank of caps that probably add up to 40uF. This would correspond to a 500Hz crossover point. This network is not compatible with a Cornwall, since the crossover point is below the Fc of the horn. It might be compatible with a CornScala, depending on the horn that is used. One would need to attenuate the tweeter.

The five versions:

1. The original ALK

2. The original Cornwall ALK

3. Revision 1 to the original ALK: an adjustment to the high pass and low pass values were performed, driven by the idea that the VC of the K-33 is part of the network, which constitutes 6 ohms in series with 1mH of inductance (VC inductance of K-33). The 1mH of the VC is subtracted from the original low pass value (went from 2.4mH to 1.3mH). Easily identified by the use of Sonicaps.

4. Revision 2 to the original ALK: Built under license by me. Incorporated ClarityCap ESA and Mundorf Supremes. I later went to "double wrapped" AudynPlus capacitors in place of the Mundorfs. Also used the new 3619-ET, and the network was rewired to allow for 1dB steps in attenuation. I also built a version for the Cornwall.

5. Same as Revision 2, but built using entry level capacitors and called " Economy CornScala-wall Universal". Parts should be scaled based on the loudspeaker the networks are being used in.

Edited by DeanG

So we know that these crossovers are not compatible with "all Heritage speakers." I assume the Seller made this claim in good faith, so this is not about the Seller. Rather it speaks to why members should not be bullied into not commenting on sales. I hope the buyer did not intend to use these on Cornwalls. Sunshine always beats darkness.

Thanks Dean for confirming..

Edited by Hornmiester

Indeed. That has always been my point as well, this is not eBay or Craigslist. If sellers can't handle a bit of scrutiny from a community that watches out after its own -- please sell your items elsewhere.

Shep is a good guy. The whole Universal thing is a debacle, which is why I don't build it anymore. By the time I get done explaining why what is what and why -- I could have built a pair.

• Like 1

So for those who think it is "rude" to comment on sales, perhaps this will provide another perspective and hopefully cause you to reconsider. As I have consistently said, no one condones personal attacks or harassing a seller. However, just because you are not intending to buy, if you have relevant information to share with a fellow member who is trying to decide whether to pull the trigger, please consider sharing that information.

To clarify these use a 12 guage 1.3mh solen coil in the woofer section. Also when I talked with al in building these he recommended the tweak as I had both 1.3mh inductors and 2.4.mh on hand and there was a tweak to the design. I didn't know that there were various revisions to the universals. My intent was not mislead anyone and I appreciate dean chiming in on the subject and others. I can handle all the scrutiny in the world as long as facts are provided and Dean is the man when it comes to alk type crossovers.

Also the goal with these was to have a truly universal crossover that would not only work in my lascalas, but also my dbbs which they did. I also used them in my cornwalls and they worked but I used a different midrange horn and forgot about the original cornwall crossover point when I posted (had to look it up).

Edited by shepjk01

I sold them a while ago. I do have a set of new 3.0 14awg solen air core inductors that I was going to use for a project but it never matured. They were $35 a piece. I would let them go for 45 shipped for the pair. Let me know if you are interested.

So we know that these crossovers are not compatible with "all Heritage speakers." I assume the Seller made this claim in good faith, so this is not about the Seller. Rather it speaks to why members should not be bullied into not commenting on sales. I hope the buyer did not intend to use these on Cornwalls. Sunshine always beats darkness.

Thanks Dean for confirming..

They are going to be used in lascalas by the new owner. Yes I made the claim in good faith as these were the only universals alk sold at the time. I did not know there was a special version for cornwalls. My intent was not to bully anyone. I welcome any and all comments as long as there are facts to back them which the original person who raised the question did not present, but I'm glad he brought up as many of us probabley didn't know there were different forms of the universal alk crossover. I do know the one alk currently sells is compatible with cornwalls and heresys so when I posted I just went based of that info.