KLF30 Review on Audioreview

KlipschManiac

Here's a bad review of the KLF30's on Audioreview.com. He states that 23 of 25 people in a blind test chose BOSE 701's to the KLF30's. I never have heard either of them, but I have the R7 series and I just can't believe the KLF30's are much different than my RF7's. Something is fishy in Denmark. Does anybody else think this test is a little biased for BOSE? The material below is quoted from Audioreview.com:

Reviewed by: Ted Staigl, Audio Enthusiast, from Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Price Paid: $1575 at Local A/V dealer

Product Model Year:

Summary:

I bought three sets of speakers: Bose 701 ($849.00, Best Buy), Klipsch KLF 30 Towers ($1575.00 local), and the Boston VR 975 ($1550.00 local). For the rear, I bought a pair of Bose Double Cube Speakers (red line, new, off e-bay, $215.00) and the Klipsch KSP-S6 surrounds ($500.00 local dealer). I decided to try each with my system: Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX, Pioneer DV626D (DVD-CD), Boston VR-12 center channel, and the Pioneer SW-200 subwoofer. I tried each with every possible pairing of the speakers both with and without the separate subwoofer. Without question, the best sounds for DVDs and CD's were from the Bose 701 speakers and the Bose Double Cube speakers in the rear.

Since I had all of these products I ask some of my friends to listen. Many of my friends are audiophiles. They, like many people who write on this forum, hate Bose. I wanted their option, but I didnt want it biased by product lines. So, we did blind tests (i.e., each could not see what speakers were playing and rated the combinations for me). I had five of my friends do this and we had so much fun that each brought five additional people to do the sound test. The movies used were U-571 and Matrix. CDs were Creed, Cher, and Classical Hits, 2000, Varity Bach. The receiver was set on large speakers for front, large for center, and small for rear-Bose, small and large for Klipsch, and cutoff at 80 Hz for the subwoofer.

The winning combination, using my receiver, DVD/CD player, subwoofer, and center speaker, was the Bose 701 with the Bose cube speakers. 23 out of 25 people picked the Bose combination. 25 out of 25 picked the Bose double cubes for the rear. Isnt that something? When people couldnt see what speakers were playing, mostly all picked Bose. People swore they were picking either the Bostons or the Klipschs, depending on what they thought was the best product, and in most cases, the Bose 701 with the Bose Double Cubes were picked. The other surprising result was that the Pioneer SW-200 was picked easy over the Bostons with the built in subwoofers given every possible combination. The pioneer was picked as cleaner and deeper bass.

This was a fun weekend for all of us. However, in the end, I took the Bostons and Klipschs back. I got in writing that each were returnable before I did this (the Bose Double Cubes were going in the den if I didnt like them as the rear speakers). It appears that a better manner to determine what speakers you actually like and do not like is to make sure you cant see what speakers are being used. Your ears and not your eyes judge.

I do love the sound I get from the 701s. The Double Cubes in the rear are awesome. With the subwoofer, the bass is super clear (but it is good without too), the highs are clean and not annoying (the Klipsch were harsh), and the middle was pleasant.

You cant go wrong with these speakers and they dont cost an arm and a leg to own them (they sell for around $535.00 average on E-Bay or $850.00 new). The sound is so good youll turn them on just to listen to them. This was a fun experiment and my buddies, and their friends, still cant believe they picked Bose. I had fun and am very happy with my system. Get the Bose 701s, they hold up to speakers costing twice as much.

Strengths:

Overall, the sound is good at lower levels.

Weaknesses:

Harsh sound when using higher sound levels, like for movies.

Similar Products Used:

Bose 701, Klipsch KSP-S6, Boston VR 975.

that's sad-goes to show 'ya what a review can be worth,especially those not subject to scrutiny.hopefully(it seems this way based on other reviews posted)no one will believe that bullshit.as far as the guy who wrote it, all i can say is he got his just reward-having to listen to that **** he said was better than klf-30's. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Weaknesses:

Harsh sound when using higher sound levels, like for movies.

hmmmm, doesnt that effectily render them useless for real home theater?

i bet, if you took an amp with 100 watts to power the bose...

and the same kind of amp and used 50 watts to power the klipsch...

the klipsch would reach higher lvls, and sound better at those lvls.

------------------

---------------------

I. Love. MUSIC!

This message has been edited by JasN00b on 07-20-2002 at 01:35 PM

I started to type a lengthy response but finally decided that whatever my taste in speakers it will never suit everybody.

Having rarely listened to Bose speakers I cannot say whether they are good or bad by today's standards beyond pointing out that a pair of 901 III's that I A/B'd in an audio store back in about 1970 sounded better than anything else on offer in that particular audio emporium on that day except for the Pioneer HPM 200's which I still have in my admittedly huge spares bin.

What I can say is that I have a pair of KLF 30's that I purchased instead of a pair of RF 7's. That said it was a Rolls vs. Bentley type of choice. I could happily use either until that dreadful day comes (unless a pair of horns comes my way :~p)

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This is sad and pathetic

Most reviews on AudioReview are made by lonley ignorants who could not tell apart the electric guitar from an acoustic one.

What really makes me want to take the chainsaw and cut these fools down to size is their moronic "reviews".Do these half brained worms think for one monute any serious buyer would take their brain farts for facts or accurate description of what they heard? NO

AudioReview lets loosers loose some steam,and its sad since the idea was good.Let the average Joe post about his gear or gear heard.I say AudioReview should be moderated and posts with no depth of merit erased.

Its unfortunate most of the so called reviews are made by clowns.

Even Dynaudio Contour 3.3's were bashed by "Jack" a lunatic who was frustrated these outperformed his B&W's and he went on a crazed rant with no truth.

Klipsch's own and venerable K-Horns were bashed!Just about any high grade component is spit on if it costs more.More then the frustrated bum can spend.

The one I still remember well is the "review" made by Colin the scuba audiophile,while he said he was impressed by the contruction(quality)and the sound of the Krell MRS he gave a 1/5!I understand a 1/5 for value as this sub is expensive as all hell,but 1/5 for performance?!Go figure,another biased post.

Anyone who claims a human prefers B0$e to Klipsch is a genetic liar and should be in jail serving hard time.Whipped ten times/day and eating Kraft dinners and peanutbutter toast.

And I am polite here

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I went and listened to a pair of Bose 701s at the local Best Buy just out of curiosity. They want close to $900 for them. To be honost, I actually thought they sounded better than I set myself up to expect. However, I did find the base to be a bit boomy and muddy. I also found the highs to not be as quite as detailed as I'd like. The mid-range was decent, but nothing to get excited about. Overall, they sounded decent, but that was it. I still cannot help that for that same $900, you could just go across the street to Tweeter and pick up a pair of Klipsch RF-3s, a much better speaker in my opinion. The Klipsch, I found the sound be much more detailed and "alive" (for lack of better term).

Also, I never really subscribed to that whole "Direct/Reflect" business that Bose seems to hype up. Bose claims that at a live performance, only 11% of the sound reaches you directly and the rest is due to reflections. I say bull$#!+. Every concert/live performance I have been at, all the speakers were pointed towards the audiance. All the musicians/performers faced the audiance. I am willing to bet that a far greater percentage of the sound heard is due to direct sound, not reflections. I have not seen one speaker turned to the back wall (except the peformers own monitors) and I have never seen a band/orchestra play with thier backs towards the crowd watching the program. If I wanted a live sound, I'll get a live recording. Also, it seems many peoople think speakers such as the Klipschorns produce a very "live" like sound. Hell, I get a very "live" sound out of my RF-7s.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

Everyone hears things a little differently...but some people NEED to clean the huge wax globules out of their ears!!!!

Bose better than Klipsch....yeah right!

Makes as much sense as jumbo shrimp............

This message has been edited by Mikekid on 07-21-2002 at 11:20 PM