Time to Decide on Upgrade Screen Size (Considering 140" - 150")

Youthman

Sorry if this a little off topic, but I saw you mention you were planning on having an 8" recess for your screen from your false wall. What have any of you guys found to be the maximum distance for the recess distance? I was planning on having about 10-11", but was concerned that might be pushing it. I know there's a concern that if the recess gets too big of a distance, then you have to worry about the light from the screen reflecting noticeably off the inside of the recess area.

Good question. I will have a 4" border around the screen.

I will have a 3" border on mine, so I was thinking that I should be ok. I just haven't tried a recess that far in. Maybe I should screw my recessed screen wall when I tie into the false walls on either side for the front speakers, so I can undo it easier and move it up some if I need to, I suppose. I just thought I would ask you experts, in case anybody had found out the hard way from a previous install how far was "too far" for the recess distance. ;)

• Like 1

I like the idea of the picture getting larger for when I have a 2.40 movie so that is the route I am going

Which is what filmmakers intended. Of all the theaters in the S.F. Bay area last time I lived there, all but two had this kind of set-up. Even one Art House.

Good reading: Widescreen Cinema by John Belton. Also, The American Widescreen Museum, and In 70mm, both online.

• Like 1

Good question. I will have a 4" border around the screen.

I will have a 3" border on mine, so I was thinking that I should be ok. I just haven't tried a recess that far in. Maybe I should screw my recessed screen wall when I tie into the false walls on either side for the front speakers, so I can undo it easier and move it up some if I need to, I suppose. I just thought I would ask you experts, in case anybody had found out the hard way from a previous install how far was "too far" for the recess distance. ;)

I am thinking of making the screen frame 6" wide (same as our current 134"), wrapped in Fiedio 1000 black velvet, and then getting black AT material for the rest of the screen to wall, and screen to floor and ceiling areas.

Edited by ellisr63

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The seymour screen fabric arrived yesterday but apparently there was a mis-communication in my order. During my conversations with the sales rep, I asked if he recommended the "Precision Cut" which is where they angle the screen to help prevent moire. From what I found online and speaking with him, they have never had an issue with moire but the precision cut just helps guarantee that you will never experience moire.

So when I got ready to place the order, I found out the guy I had been working with was on vacation and the guy that took my order and payment wasn't typically the one placing orders. I told him I did not want to have the Precision Cut and I just wanted the 150" size screen with 4" of extra on each side to attach to the screen. He said 3" was already included so he just added an extra inch to each side. Everything sounded fine until the screen arrived. Instead of sending me a 150" screen, they sent me a MUCH larger piece of fabric so that I could angle and cut it myself. Not quite what I was asking for. I'll have to call them tomorrow to see how much I was overcharged.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I just got off the phone with Jon at Seymour.

It was just as I had figured....the other rep did remove the $45 charge for the "Precision Cut" but he assumed I still wanted to have enough material for me to make the 10 degree angle to help prevent moire.

If he would have sent me a 150" image size with 4" margin for attaching to the screen, it would have been $285.30 vs $307.30 for the fabric so we aren't talking a whole lot of difference. He didn't offer any refund for the difference but I didn't really ask for it either. It was just a miscommunication between us so I'll just angle the screen as much as we can before we cut the fabric.

For 4" margin:

138" x 58.7" Screen Size
146.0" x 66.7" Fabric Size
12 degree angle
14' x 98" = $307.30
Precision cutting 12d / size $45
Shipping $35
Total Cost: $307.30
  • Like 1

• Moderators
Sorry to hear about the hassle. How soon do you build the screen?

Thanks Reference. Not really a hassle....was just surprised to see this massive screen. LOL It just allows me to angle it to prevent moire. I still saved $45 by us cutting it instead of Seymour cutting it. He said they do it by hand just like we will. He said scissors will cut it just fine.

As far as time frame, I'm really on Wake's schedule. I'm in no hurry. He purchased some extruded aluminum the other day for the frame. Typically, extruded aluminum is pretty expensive but he found 3 pieces at Mike's Merchandise for $36.00. They were the perfect size for the screen. He will take one and cut it in half for the vertical sides and use the other two pieces for the horizontal sides.

I believe Wake will be working on building the cabinets first. The screen will be assembled here once he has everything else ready and drives it down from Alabama to Florida. We are hoping to have everything complete by the end of Summer but again, I'm on his time table since he is doing the majority of the building in his spare time. I've got a great HT to enjoy in the meantime while I wait. :D

• Like 1

I hope they Get mine right, as we have made the frame already.

Sent from my SGH-T879 using Tapatalk

Fingers crossed :). What sub are you using?

1 DTS-10 under the front stage and another under the 2nd row platform... Powered by a Yamaha P7000s amp.

Sorry to hear about the hassle. How soon do you build the screen?

Thanks Reference. Not really a hassle....was just surprised to see this massive screen. LOL It just allows me to angle it to prevent moire. I still saved $45 by us cutting it instead of Seymour cutting it. He said they do it by hand just like we will. He said scissors will cut it just fine.

As far as time frame, I'm really on Wake's schedule. I'm in no hurry. He purchased some extruded aluminum the other day for the frame. Typically, extruded aluminum is pretty expensive but he found 3 pieces at Mike's Merchandise for $36.00. They were the perfect size for the screen. He will take one and cut it in half for the vertical sides and use the other two pieces for the horizontal sides.

I believe Wake will be working on building the cabinets first. The screen will be assembled here once he has everything else ready and drives it down from Alabama to Florida. We are hoping to have everything complete by the end of Summer but again, I'm on his time table since he is doing the majority of the building in his spare time. I've got a great HT to enjoy in the meantime while I wait. :D

Did you get a sample piece of material too? When I checked my sample piece months ago I recall there being a difference between one side and the other, so you might want to check and see which side you like the most before you stretch it.

• Moderators
Did you get a sample piece of material too? When I checked my sample piece months ago I recall there being a difference between one side and the other, so you might want to check and see which side you like the most before you stretch it.

No, I never requested a sample. I just ordered based on reviews and other recommendations.

I did ask that question when I called them yesterday and they said you can mount it with either side but their preference is to use the "inside" of the roll as the projection side. He said they both have the same gain but one side has a slightly different design pattern or something like that.

• Like 1

No, I never requested a sample. I just ordered based on reviews and other recommendations.

I did ask that question when I called them yesterday and they said you can mount it with either side but their preference is to use the "inside" of the roll as the projection side. He said they both have the same gain but one side has a slightly different design pattern or something like that.

I will have to dig up my sample again and see which way I like it better.