recieving KG-2.5's soon, now what?!

tpg

Well, as with everyone else here, my audio addiction started out simple. I wanted to get the ProMedia5.1's and let that be that. I would have 5.1 on my comp... who needs anything else, right? Wrong. For those who don't know, I recently bought some four KG-2.5's in light oak off of eBay. The seller sent the speakers Thursday of two weeks ago... I am thinking they will arrive this week. (BTW, UPS Ground is terrible)

So, anyway, now what do I do? I have no reciever, and was just going to power them with my PM5.1 amp until then. And when I do get an amp, what do I do from there? I have no other speakers to use to match these.

First of all, I need a reciever. Now, I could go out and get a cheapy to hold me over. But, then I still have a problem. So I get a decent 5.1 reciever for cheap. I only have 4 speakers. I really want to have some floorstanding mains since I really don't like bookshelf except for surrounds. If I then get some mains, I can have a good 5.1, but have a speaker left unused. What do I do with it? This is why I thought to get a 6.1 reciever. But at $400 it is not an easy buy. What do you think so far? What do I do?

It gets worse. I still need a sub. I could buy one, but that is expensive. I was thinking about building one... just a cheap one that is fairly small. But, this leads to another problem. I do not have the money for the reciever, yet, but could purchase the parts for the sub. Now, the sub still doesn't do me any good without its own amp and the reciever. However, I have the time right now to build the sub. What do I do again?

Sorry for this whole thing... but I am just in a state of confusion and desire without money. Thanks for the help.

------------------

icon98.gif Have a ProMedia sound problem? Visit SoundWise for help.

Still have PM sound probs? Email Amy or call at 1-888-554-5665. icon97.gif

s>

TPG-

This is really pretty easy. Get yourself a receiver, 5.1, really should be enough. Without a receiver, you just have a bunch of nice boxes. Then get a center, i think I know where you might be able to get a kv-3 on low monthly payments...tee hee. Then save for a sub. Then UPGRADE for the next 30 years of your life...LOLcwm29.gif

No Sony? And I thought they were decent... Smile.gif

OK, I will look into Denon, but they are quite expensive on a student budget.

And clu.... the KV-3 may be a bit quick for the KG-2.5's but I guess I could give it a try since it isn't seeing much action now that you have your RF-7's. (lucky) Of course, I am not comitting to it right now. Just so you know. Maybe something great will happen to me and I will be able to find some mains and a 6.1 reciever. Doubtful, but hey, who knows. I will let you know. Smile.gif

------------------

s>

As far as receivers go, the Outlaw 1050 6.1-channel A/V Receiver is a good bargin at $499 new, some have reported they've seen this receiver sell for great prices on eBay. NAD's T 751 is another 5.1 channel sleeper, less power than their T 761, but contains very similar components. Many other fine examples available used as well.

Good luck in your hunt.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

As far as 6.1 recievers went, I had found a Pioneer 6.1 that did DD-EX and DTS-ES. Also, it could support 7.1 out. It was very nice and was only $399. I am not sure what you guys think of Pioneer... but I have heard a lot about Outlaw recievers. I'll check them out. Smile.gif

------------------

s>

tg, you may also want to check out ubid.com. I know they often have auctions on HT models by; Marantz, Onkyo, Harman-Kardon, Technics and possibly other manufacturers. Ubid purchases offer the full manufacturers warranty. Whatever model you choose, I strongly recommend getting one with pre-outs or audio-outs for future expansion and use with outboard amps. I agree with Cluless on the 5.1 recommendation, unless you can score an Outlaw 1050 or other 6.1 at a great price.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

The new Denons will be very very cheap this fall. For $299 MSRP, you can get the new 1403 which is last year's $399 1602. Check the Denon Website for specs. They aren't out yet, but here's what you can do in the meantime.

Go to Sams and pick up a DD receiver to hold you off. They have a 90 day return policy I think. Return it when the new Denons arrive and get your cheapy Denon. It's a great receiver for the money!

Get a KG 2.2v or 2.5v like the ones on ebay right now for your center. Another pair for your rear would be ideal, but you could also easily get by with KG 1, 1.2, or 1.5 in the rear as well.

Good luck!

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KLF-C7 (center)

KG 1 (rears)

SVS 20-39CS+ (sub)

Aura Bass Shakers (pair)

Crest LA601 sub amp

Denon AVR 681/1601