Surround Sound Speakers

Refus

Hi, First time post, long time Klipsch fan!

Presently I have RF-63 front towers driven by a Emotiva UPA-2. Im using a Pioneer VSX-1120K for my head unit. I have accoustic research bookshelf speakers for my surround.

I can get a hold of RF-3 for almost nothing. Are there any objections for using the RF-3's as surround speakers?

Thanks for your comments. -Refus

Refus,

Welcome to the forum.

Presently I have RF-63 front towers

Great choice, love them, love them, love them.

can get a hold of RF-3 for almost nothing. Are there any objections for using the RF-3's as surround speakers?

No objections at all in relation to timbre matching or speaker quality. One concern(at least to me) though is with towers for surrounds for home theater. In my opinion they will not be at a proper height in reference to your ear level. Most suggestions are for surrounds to be 2 to three feet above ear level while in seating position. The RF-3's tweeters will be at about 35 inches above floor which would put them about 4 inches below my ears. Not ideal for HT.

Now for multichannel music, excellent.

If your plan is to place the RF-3's on an 8 inch or 12 inch platform, then you would be good to go for home theater.

Of course this is only my assessment so wait for others to chime in.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. I too see nothing wrong with using RF-3's as surrounds. They should have no problem keeping up with the RF-63's. You should be able to find RF-3's or RF-3ii's for around $300 on your local Craigslist.

• Like 1

No objections at all in relation to timbre matching or speaker quality. One concern(at least to me) though is with towers for surrounds for home theater. In my opinion they will not be at a proper height in reference to your ear level. Most suggestions are for surrounds to be 2 to three feet above ear level while in seating position. The RF-3's tweeters will be at about 35 inches above floor which would put them about 4 inches below my ears. Not ideal for HT.

If your plan is to place the RF-3's on an 8 inch or 12 inch platform, then you would be good to go for home theater.

Bill

I've used RF-3s as side surrounds and purchased cheap footstools from Lowes and put granite floor tiles around them to make them look nicer.. I have my front RF-7s raised about 3 inches because of an obstacle and the stools raise the RF-3s horns to the same height which are about 6 inches above our ears....In this configuration we use rear speakers for a 7.2 situation (actually 9.2, also using height speakers) and love the way 5.1 material is matrixed into the surround and rear channels.

Edited by tkdamerica

Bill

I've used RF-3s as side surrounds and purchased cheap footstools from Lowes and put granite floor tiles around them to make them look nicer.. I have my front RF-7s raised about 3 inches because of an obstacle and the stools raise the RF-3s horns to the same height which are about 6 inches above our ears....In this configuration we use rear speakers for a 7.2 situation (actually 9.2, also using height speakers) and love the way 5.1 material is matrixed into the surround and rear channels.

That is what I was trying to convey. :emotion-21::emotion-21:

If OP has the option to raise them as you have done, then I think the RF-3's would be just about perfect for both multichannel music and home theater.

Get them and enjoy.

Bill

• Moderators

For $150, they are worth giving a shot. See if you like them as sides or as rear surrounds. If you don't, you can easily sell them for what you have in them. Nothing lost, and first hand knowledge gained.