La Scalas are gone...

Marvel

so I'm having to use my JBL 4311s while I refurb a second pair of LS I have. I've been tempted to build new crossovers for them as there are a couple of designs on the net that really improve the balance of these. However, I tried something easy first. As shown on the Altec Lansing pages, the 123A woofer really works better in a sealed box, so I have plugged the ports with some plumber's plugs. The bass seems not quite as thumpy, a little better defined. I've since replaced the wing nuts with regular nuts. I'll probably take the red plastic piece back off and spray with some flat black, but I can't see the red through the grill clothe, so it really doesn't bother me.

I have these upside down, on the floor, so the mids and tweets are higher. Works ok for me right now.

I use my Heresy IIs in the room with the larger TV because they fit on the cabinets.

Bruce

post-5045-0-94740000-1404618805_thumb.jp

post-5045-0-83140000-1404618819_thumb.jp

Edited by Marvel

I have these upside down, on the floor, so the mids and tweets are higher. Works ok for me right now.

I thought that the 4311 had the mids and tweets toward the top, but I can see that yours do not (at least until you inverted them). Maybe I'm thinking of the 4312s or even the 4310s. On of these three models was used as monitors for the synthesizer (Moog?) at the San Francisco studio called The Different Fur Trading Company. They did Beaver and what's-his-name.

How would you subjectively compare the sound of the Heresy II, the 4311, and the La Scala?

JBL L-100 was touted as the home version of the 4311 Monitor, more or less...the 4311 was considered a pro model...I would think that the comparison to a Klipsch model would be closer to the Heresy than to the LaScala...as for the original Heritage line. I had 4311WX monitors when I was in Italy....a very LONG time ago! Hands down, the Klipsch would be much more efficient.

JBL L-100 was touted as the home version of the 4311 Monitor, more or less...the 4311 was considered a pro model...
I think the 4310 was more in line with the L-100, but we're close enough with that statement.

I bought my 4311s in '72, and normally always had them up off the floor, set into bookshelves on each side of a fireplace, etc. They were meant to be mounted up, and a lot of radio stations hung them from chains in control rooms. On the floor there was just way to much bass, but I hadn't noticed it much before.

Mark D. did a crossover upgrade on his L-100s last year and felt everything got smoothed out. The stock versions have a little raspy peak in the mids around 5-6k, and a bit of regular boost in the mids for what some call the West Coast sound.

The L-100, for sure, was for JBL what the Heresy was for Kliipsch -- a goldmine in profits!

When my son gave me a set of HIIs I felt like they sounded almost the same as the JBLs but way more efficient. Of course, now the JBLs are in place where the LS were located. The other difference, though is I am using an H/K430 to drive them, where I used 2A3 amps for the LS. As good as the 430 is, it doesn't compare well to the SET amps ability to do what they do well with super efficient horns. The JBLs have only a 91db sensitivity.

The 2213H woofer has an Fs of 25Hz...

I thought that the 4311 had the mids and tweets toward the top, but I can see that yours do not (at least until you inverted them). Maybe I'm thinking of the 4312s or even the 4310s. On of these three models was used as monitors for the synthesizer (Moog?) at the San Francisco studio called The Different Fur Trading Company. They did Beaver and what's-his-name.
Gary, you are correct, the 4312 had the inverted cabinet. I actually made a template/artwork to have new foilcals made so I could leave them upside down but have the logo and text correct.

In any case, they are sounding way better.

Also, you must be talking about Beaver and Krause. If you know where I can get copies of their albums, I would love to get them.

Bruce

Bruce, what are you planning to do to refurb your LS?

I sold off the good pair of LS, but have a pair I got for $100 (really just the cabinets... none of the parts were Klipsch). I've routed out the top of the doghouse on each to do the bass mod, but didn't have the incentive to finish them. Now I do... and slowly deciding what I want to do with them.

Bruce

Also, you must be talking about Beaver and Krause. If you know where I can get copies of their albums, I would love to get them.

Yeah, they're the ones. I don't know where to get their albums .... online ......

I visited The Different Fur Trading Company during the time B & K were recording with them, in about 1973/74. I was enrolled in one of those wonderful S.F. State classes (called "Discover your Ears"). We visited just about every recording studio in the Bay Area, plus Grace Cathedral with its two magnificent organs, theaters, a recording session with The Band, etc.

Edited by Garyrc

Gary,

I had 'In a wild sanctuary' and 'Gandharva'. They used a lot of ambient/found sounds with their music. I've tried fining their stuff online but not had much success. Amazing pioneers in electronic music.

Searches on the net are so weird. I know I have found little in the past and now, there is a lot of info. I a wild sanctuary was also released on CD, it seems.

Bruce

After a few days with the ports plugged on the 4311s, I am really liking what I hear. Really enjoying more bass heavy tracks. Bass seems a lot tighter and more defined. I'm not sure I'll do the crossover updates now, although that would probably be another great improvement.

Low bass on 'All the Road Running' with Mark Knopfler and Emmy Lou Harris is outstanding in my living room.

Might let these ride for a while while I get more important things done, lol. My older son and I are working on a pair of Smith horns for the LS update. That will be very interesting.

Bruce

I have, but I've also seen the price. Mark Deneen has done a crossover designed by Dennis Murphy that has gotten some good traction, and is much less expensive. Those schematics and parts lists are freely available.

Bruce