Speaker Help

I have gotten great info from Klipsch Nation on my home audio, now lets try a car audio problem that is stumping me.

2011 F150 with 18,000 miles, stock stereo. still has warranty. Ford won't fix unless they hear "the problem". "the problem" has not happened during 2 visits to the dealership.

My passenger side speaker sometimes for a lack of a better term "pops lightly" and sometimes kicks out for a brief second before coming back on.

I can not pin point a cause (bumps, speed, loud, soft, cd, radio, speed differentiated volume is off). It just does it when it wants to. approximately every other time I turn the truck on. It lasts for a few seconds then it is okay. sometimes it happens right when the truck is turned on, other times towards the end of a trip to town and even sometimes in the middle of a trip.

Thoughts? Thank you

Sounds like a bad ground or something wrong with the head unit.

Normally a bad ground would make the noise through all the speakers at once but its still possible to only happen with one.

Try to keep a log of when the problem occurs for documentation and if you could capture the issue with a recorder (phone or whatever) even better this way you have a fighting chance for a free repair if your warranty expires.

Guest David H

Your Dealer needs to check for TSB's.

Was your truck built in Dearborn?

TSB
13-10-18
  • DRIVER AND/OR PASSENGER FRONT DOOR SPEAKERS - INTERMITTENT OPERATION - DEARBORN TRUCK PLANT - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 12/1/2011
Publication Date: October 22, 2013
FORD:
2010-2012 F-150

The article supersedes TSB 12-11-4 to update the Title, Issue Statement, Service Procedure and Part List.

ISSUE:

Some 2010-2012 F-150 vehicles built at the Dearborn Truck Plant and built on or before 12/1/2011 may exhibit an intermittent operation of the driver and/or passenger front door speaker(s). This may be due to a poor pin connection at connector(s) C219 and/or C237 located at the lower A-pillar(s).

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
  1. Disconnect the connector C219 or C237 located at the lower A-pillar(s).
  2. Inspect cavities 1 and 2 on the female side of connector C219 or C237 for terminal pins not seated. Refer to Wiring Diagram Cell 150-1 for connector views. Are the terminal pins 1 and 2 fully seated in the connector?
    1. No - remove door trim panel and replace the front door harness. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501.05
    2. Yes - this article does not apply. Refer to WSM, Section 415-00 for normal diagnosis.
  • Like 2

Do you have a device hooked up to the radio, such as a phone using an 1/8 inch mini jack to connect to the radio?

I have had experience with that in the past, and the imperfect connection will definitely cause that popping you describe.

+++

Edit: I posted after Hover made his post regarding the dealer checking Service Bulletins. I would guess Mr. Hoover got it right, and your dealer was lazy in not even trying to fix this known problem.

Edited by wvu80

We got recall bulletins every day at the GM dealership.

Possible Dave works at Ford, knows somebody who works at Ford or found information on the subject on line

If i recall customers were only notified if it was a safety concern.

Its not just Ford, GM & Chrysler are no different.

Shyt rolls downhill and american car makers treat the ones who keep them in business like trash.

If it was not for american loyalty the big 3 would all be out of business.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963
If it was not for american loyalty the big 3 would all be out of business.

Seen the news from the border lately? My guess is in about 10 years there won't be anything akin to american loyalty and all 3 of those makers will be gone.

Edited by Steven1963