Week of deals continues - Rega Planet!!

I got the Alpha Core Goertz Silver Sapphire cables installed. These were used - so no break-in was necessary - and I am more than surprised with the results.

It's not "night and day" by any means, but there are differences in the details. I think jazman and MH described it best with "bloom" and "smooth, extended, detailed". I'm starting to become a believer in this stuff. It's easier to begin to understand this since acquiring gear that will allow me to hear the differences.

At 25% of retail (340.00 new), it's certainly worthwhile investment for the source I use most. It is an audible improvement.

After a couple of weeks of having the Rega Planet, I'm more and more pleased with it everyday. Very highly recommended!!

Thanks again for the recommendations!

dndphishin,

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Rega and interconnects. Though used, because the cables have probably not been used for some time, I think you will find the sound qualities improve over the next couple of weeks of use.

Klipsch out.

my cd source is currently an onkyo dx-1800 (i think its from the reagan era). but it is a hungry thing...it will play anything. when i worked at a record store, where you could listen before you buy, we had a whole box full of discs that wouldn't play on our NAD s, so i took them home and everyone played on the onkyo.

anyway...i found the "display off" recommendation rather interesting. unfortunately, i do not have that option on the honkyo. never one to give up, i looked in my tool box and found some electrical tape and placed it over the display. to my suprise, the was a noticeable difference in the sound...it seems my onkyo sounds much better when i am not constantly reminded that it is an onkyo.

RC.... Indeed. You appear quite reluctant to drop kick ye olde Onkyo to the nearest Group Home and donate as a artifact from the Reagan era. It would fit right in as one more thing lacking subtlty in that time... Amusing post.

Sadly, turning off the display is the least of your worries. CD players from the 80s were a horrible lot fit for punishing neighbors on drunken drool inducing evenings (or days for that matter). I commend you for sticking with such aging equipment. Unfortunately, the philosophy for tube amps does not hold with thy digital domain.

I am praying to Sweet Jehovah that you dont have Heritage speakers mated to a solid state power house with that digital beast as the leader of the horror patrol. May God have mercy on your tortured soul....

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 08-08-2002 at 03:12 PM

hey MOBILE!

i know i know!

i have been concentrating on vinyl...they are ,indeed, mated to a ss receiver, but not a powerhouse...a pioneer sx-650(not for long). however, the leader is an ariston rd-11s turntable with a fidelity research frt-33 tortoidal transformer, a sumiko talisman MC cartridge, and a micro seiki MA505XII tone arm.

i would like more info on the cartridge and tone arm if anyone has any...and if anyone has an amplifier awaiting a good home, i have a good home next to my sansui TU-999 receiver.

HONKYO! "Horror Patrol" INDEED.

Yeah, Wes - I found a pair (2 hours away from my house), but in a light oak finish (arrrrgh). No good for the HT - that finish will stick out like a sore thumb as a center between 2 OO Cornwalls. I could settle for walnut vs OO in a belle, but the light oak might as well be white between the OO corns. Certainly not good for the WAF. I'm gonna regret it (they would be good for that future 2 channel setup), but I had to veto the deal.

quote:

Originally posted by dndphishin:

...that finish will stick out like a sore thumb as a center between 2 OO Cornwalls. I could settle for walnut vs OO in a belle, but the light oak might as well be white between the OO corns.....

Agree with you on the LO match-up. One of my Academy's is Black, the other is Oak Oil. One cannot easily tell the difference between the OO Academy, WO Belle or WO Cornwall finish from my seating position. Requires an up close inspection to see they're different finishes.

No doubt one will surface in the near future.

Regards,

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-08-2002 at 07:34 AM

While not really directly relevant to this thread... I just have to share.

I was reading this thread last night, much to my wife's displeasure (too much time spent on this stupid board). She said she wanted to write some email. I said just a minute, I want to finish reading this. She asked, with some irritation, "What brilliant insights are you reading about now?". I said, "Hmmm... this one guys says that turning off the display on the CD player really improves the sound". Needless to say, after her reaction to that, I got off the computer and she wrote her email. She was curious enough that she read through the thread when she was done!

Mace