female vocalists

phishken

So I finally got turned onto Sarah McLaughlin... took me long enough huh? Her voice is so amazingly beautiful thru these Heresys. So soothing and peaceful and with out attitude. Im in awe of her talent and how she comes thru these speakers.

My question is.... what other chicks should I check out? Im looking for acoustic type stuff, guitar or piano. Mellow mood style stuff. Im not real into the r & b type sound.

cheers,

ken cwm42.gif

------------------

Heresys and Synergys

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have long been a fan of Sarah McLachlan. My other favorites of this genre are Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily, and Indigo Girls - Retrospective ("Closer to Fine" has clearest guitar sound of any CD/song I own).

But I also am looking for other good recommendations. I've seen alot of talk on Diana Krall, but have yet to take the plunge - any recommendations on best Krall CD (or DVD) similar to music of the above artists?

Norah Jones CD titled "Come away with me"

for the R&B stuff what artists that'll give us a better target

For Sarah which CD?

I've picked up

Solance

Touch

Fumbling toward Ecstasy (My Favorite)

Surfacing

Any thoughts on Sade?

------------------

"FULLY LOADED"

J

Jocelyn Pook-Untold Things

Lisa Gerrard-Mirror Pool

Lisa Gerrard/Pieter Bourke-Duality

Sheila Chandra-Moonsung

Loreena Mckennitt-Book of Secrets

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

I am a big fan of Rickie Lee Jones. She is a tremendous songwriter and has a sound that is very unique. All her stuff is very well recorded with top-notch musicians. I recommend the following:

Rickie Lee Jones

Pirates

Flying Cowboys (produced by Walter Becker)

The Magazine

Traffic from Paradise

Girl at her Volcano (best version of "Don't Walk Away Renee" I have ever heard)

As for the Indigo Girls, go for their first 4 CD's. They were more raw then (not as polished), and had songs with better melodies and harmonies. All of these are excellent and you won't be able to get enough of them. Here they are:

Indigo Girls

Strange Fire

Nomads Indians Saints

Rites of Passage

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

thanks dudes. I downloaded 70 different songs from the artists mentioned above while I was at work today. Will cycle thru them and evaluate. So far that Ricki Jones chick is kinda cool but different.

regards,

ken

------------------

Heresys and Synergys

dnd,

Thanks for the links to Liza and SCI. After hearing a number of clips, I'm very interested in ordering some of this. Can you tell me if the SCI is available in vinyl? The website doesn't say. I was thinking of ordering the DVD as well as the Liza/Billy collaboration, and then a couple of SCI albums as well. What SCI albums do you recommend?

Thanks,

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 07-25-2002 at 11:08 AM

I don't think SCI is available in vinyl. They are their own record company, so I don't know if there is much demand for it. You should tell SCI that you would be interested in vinyl though, since they do take and consider comments from the fanbase. I'm not sure if it would be economically feasible for SCI to do vinyl, but they are growing, so anything is possible. The first video release "Pura Vida" was VHS only, since they were not sure if the added cost of going DVD was a risk worth taking (smaller fanbase then). The second video, "Evolution", is 5.1 DD DVD. Highly recommended.

Several recommendations on the SCI stuff......

Both videos are excellent, as described above. Good samplers of SCI music and scene.

Studio: The new release "Outside Inside" is a good studio offering; it offers more of the "arena rock" sound, vs. the older releases "Born on the Wrong Planet", "A String Cheese Incident", and "Round the Wheel" - which are more connected to the bluegrass roots of SCI. They are all good, but.......

The essence of SCI is found in the live setting. Both videos show you why. With that said, I think it's very worthwhile to pick up several of the "On The Road" releases, from the spring and summer 2002 tours. If you want some of these, let me know, and I'll sift through all of the shows and find a few choice offerings.

The proof is at the SCI fidelity page here . Check out the live downloads from the 2001 New Years' run in San Francisco, located on the "sounds" page. If you like these, order up the videos and some OTR releases. The OTR and the latest offerings are at the band's homepage here .

I've also got some live SCI on disc as well, and I can copy you a few of these (which is allowed by the band, BTW). They are mostly live concerts from the era when SCI let tapers plug into the soundboard. If you want some of these, let me know.

And don't forget the Billy and Liza "It's About Time" release.

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 07-25-2002 at 10:30 AM

Mike these are the R.L Jones tracks I pulled from kazaa.

It must be love

Young Blood

The Horses

Jolie Jolie

Chucke's in love

weazel and the white boys

makin' whoopee

re: sci, billy and liza. What can be said but they kick ***. Not your typical crap pop... these guys have depth. I think the only OTR series to use the Matrix soundboard were the Fox Atlanta shows from the spring. I would want those 2 first. Mike if you're into this stuff I'll burn you a freebie SCI show, Ive got a few real crisp soundboards around here.

cheese on,

ken

------------------

Heresys and Synergys

Ken,

It must be love - The Magazine

Young Blood - Rickie Lee Jones (1st album)

The Horses - Flying Cowboys

Jolie Jolie - Traffic From Paradise

Chuck E.'s in Love - Rickie Lee Jones (1st album)

Weazel and the White Boys Cool - Rickie Lee Jones (1st album)

I would love to hear a show of these guys. As of right now I just ordered the DVD, and the collaboration of Billy and Liza. If you can cut me a CD that would be great. Shoot me an Email at mlindsey@dewberry.com and I will give you my address. Let me know what it costs to ship and I will send you a check...

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 07-25-2002 at 03:27 PM

Ken, My favorite has always been Linda Ronstadt. She covers a wide variety of styles from country-rock to big band and Mexican. My favorites are "Heart Like A Wheel", "Hasten Down The Wind" and "What's New" Also check out her Trio recordings with Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton. Hearing those three harmonize is just beautiful.

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll

This message has been edited by lovedrummin on 07-25-2002 at 08:31 PM

Mike,

yeah the sci dvd is pretty cool. I would prefer it to be just 2 sets of music w/o interviews and such. But as it is it mixes alot of live stuff, and interviews. Definately shows off how fun these guys are live. You'll enjoy.

You've got mail btw. I've got 100 blank discs sitting here and mailing will only cost a buck. So this ones on me Wink.gif

Lew... Linda Rondstat? Holy chit. I think my mom force fed me too much of that growing up. But I'll give her another try.

Ken~~

------------------

Heresys and Synergys