Dust Caps

tnr

Are they pretty simple to replace and where is the best source for Klipsch Heritage dust caps? Or, I have heard of folks taking a vacuum cleaner under low variable power, or a tiny pin to pull out the dents in them. I am usually turned off when I see dented center dust caps and then shy away from buying the speakers, but they don't affect performance and can be fairly easily and cheaply fixed, right? Thanks.

First, take a utility knife and cut away enough dust cap that you can get to one edge to hold it steady while you whittle away the rest. Then cut the old one out carefully using a utility knife blade-only held PARALLEL to the cone (so as not to cut into it). You'll not be able to get it totally clean as that adhesive is some nasty stuff indeed. Then using the special woofer glue (you can get at PE- they have the plastic and compressed felt types) , adhere the new one, hopefully just slightly larger than the old. I use a large socket on top to weight it down while glue dries. Had to do this with a couple pro woofers, the glue holding the vent screen (back of magnet pack) came loose, so screen was bouncing around behind the dust cap. Easy peasy!

Edited by colterphoto1
  • Like 1