Should I replace my SW-12, and if so, any recommendations?

pargol4

Here is a link to a comparison of the 2006 Rockford Fosgate amps to "Old School" Rockford Fosgate amps:

A big part of the allure of the old ones was that they were underrated. Like I said before, my friend was using a punch 40 to power the hell out of two 18's. You could get a punch 40 and a punch 60 and be in the lowest power class, 0-100. You couldn't get away with that with any other brand. The closest comparison they could come up with was comparing that 30Wx2 Punch 60 to an amp rated at 125Wx2 which is defeating the purpose. That would have bumped you up into a much higher power class. I don't see the point in this comparison other than to say your money goes further with Chinese stuff.

http://rftech.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/1564/0/filename/RF_P60DSM-vs-P5002.pdf

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Rockford made top notch stuff. Then something happened. I can tell you exactly what it was too. They started selling at places like best but to appeal to more people. Problem with that is the buyer who walks into best but doesn't want to spend near as much as the buyer who walks into a specialty audio shop. So they started making stuff cheaper to please the customers. And most people (not any of us) just want stuff for cheap. They don't care about quality.

I have sold a lot of Klipsch speakers the last few years and the easiest ones to sell are always the lower priced ones. I have played full rf-62 theater and a rf-42 theater and the bigger only being a couple hundred more cause of being older version and they always liked what was cheaper.

Notice that you won't find any "power" lineage stuff at BestBuy though, just like you won't find RF-7ii's, or $8,000 projectors.  I have no doubt that their higher end stuff is still badass.  But, just like back 20 years ago, if you buy the equivalent of "series 1", I wouldn't expect a whole hell of a lot.  Everything seems cheaper nowadays and unless you go with the flagship models on most any brand, somebody is going to call it "cheap". 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Rockford Fosgate stuff is still very good.  I have a power series amp from 2011 that is extremely underpowered.  It's a 4 channel that I'm running at 4 ohm on the front to channels and 2 ohms mono (1 ohm) on the sub.  It is extremely well made.