Klipsch Pro Audio 5.1 subs and heat

mustang guy

I love my 5.1 system, and have done the fan upgrade in mine and replaced the overheated components. I want it to last forever! The other day, I was playing with my FLIR-ONE, and I snapped a picture of the glowing sub that had been on for an extended period. The external temp was 86.6 degrees in a 72 degree room even though it was idling... 

IMG_0034.jpg

I just had an epiphany. Why not invert the sub, so the slot is on top?

from this:

50801089.jpg

to this:

promediasub.jpg

That would let the heat chimney out of the sub rather than build up.

You may lose a little of the ports ability co couple with the floor but I doubt it would make much difference.

What about adding some external heat sinks?

Good idea. Some thick copper bare ground cable from the hardware store would do very well to pipe and to dissipate the heat. I don't think it would take a whole lot. As it is now, all the heat is 100% trapped and it is cooling through conduction through the wood, cones, and a bit from the amp. Very little convection from the outside. The temp is 14 deg hotter than ambient room temp. A sink would bring that down.

I'm gonna test it eventually...

Edited by mustang guy

A good question is what internal temp is ok for a sub.  Coated wire in comsumer good like subs, microwave, furnances cnd eaily take temp of more than 150 F.  Does the magnet or motor need to stay cool.  To a certain point but, not to cool to limit the suspension.  Heat kill electronic so, how much heat can the plate am take without wearing out the parts?  No need to worry on voicecoil damage, that is a different issue and mechinism.

Edited by derrickdj1

They should put the amps in the ports.  The harder you drive them, the more air goes across them.

Too much air turbulence.

An aluminum port acting as the heatsink may work though.

Yes if it is piped through conduction to an external heat sink for convective cooling. Inside only, it would do nothing more than heat up with the rest of the internals.

I think your subwoofer is haunted.  Better call the Ghost Hunters over at TAPS. :D

In other news - I have a sub that uses a downfiring slot port that seems to work out just fine.  Although I can adjust it to be front firing (since it's setup to work that way as well), I don't mainly because...finding right angle subwoofer cables in town is a nightmare...

They should put the amps in the ports.  The harder you drive them, the more air goes across them.

Too much air turbulence.

would it be possible to but the amp a few inches in front of the port?  Seems like you would then have any heat from your amp outside the box.  And as the woofer huffs and puffs it will help to cool the amp without adverse heat in the box