I Invision Mike Lindsey ......

NOSValves

posting his SS gear on Ebay LOL !!!

Yesterday I was rained out for work. So I spent the day working and listening to Mikes new Scott 299. I found some serious mistakes made by a previous Hacker.

I really can't believe Mike didn't give up after he Auditioned the amp. It was lifeless and was only able to muster maybe 1 1/2 watts when using the high level inputs he was using LOL !!!

After rewiring the mistakes and recapping the Amp sounds amazing. What's really great is I'm not done there's still room for improvement !! There is still some resistors that are out of spec and I haven't worked on all resistor that are piece mill replaced through out the amp.

We are going to Convert Mike to a tube-a-phile yet !!!!

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

That is the good thing and the bad thing about tube amps in general and vintage gear in particular; they will work when things are out of spec and sound good enough where the user might not know. This leads to people judging out of spec amps as mediocre as well as others not hearing the true potential of a design. It can also, occasionally, lead to accidents as owners will unknowingly run them in configurations that could be harmful.

What capacitors did you go with in the Scott?

kh

Kelly,

It already had Older Sprague brand Orange Drops for Cup Caps so I used 716P in the rest of the Amp. You should see the size of these vintage Sprague's there at least twice the Physical size of current OD's. They sound real nice so I think I'll live them in.

I have been using some Russian Military Spec "Paper in Oils" in my 299 for about a month now. They sound real nice and add some extra detail and extension to the high , Mids and lows Smile.gif . Thing is I'm not sure of there reliability so at this point I'm not going to use them in other people's Amps. I paid less the $2 a piece for them which if they last they are a bargain for the improvement. Some people have compared them to most of the Audiophile caps and think they are as good or better sound wise.

Craig

Craig,

The funny thing is that I thought the Scott sounded no better or worse than my SS rig while listening via the turntable. I had a terrible hum when the TT was hooked directly into the Scott (we now realize that's because I still had it grounded to the PH-1), so had to listen thru the PH-1 using the Tape input. It actually sounded pretty good but you're right, I couldn't get the volume out of it. Also, the volume pot was very scratchy.

I am now very excited to hear what this unit is capable of... especially vinyl. I have been browsing the Audio Asylum and reading up on it. Most people have nothing but very good things to say about it. In the interim, my TT will be the only source. It may take a while till I find a used Rega Planet for a decent price. If the Scott's phono stage blows away the PH-1, I will sell the PH-1 and get a pair of ALK's to replace my AL's.

Again, I can't thank you enough for this! You really have my curiosity piqued. I haven't even left for Maine yet (leave this afternoon) and already I can't wait to get back home to listen to this thing. Smile.gif

Mike

Mike,

Last night I was using Mag 2 high and expereinced the Hum using that input while not out of one channel it was even out of both. Not sure where its picking it up yet haven't tried tracing it. It should be a simple fix because using Mag 1 its real quite up to 7 or 8 on the volume and sounds just wonderful. I listened to Elton John's greatest hits LP lastnight with your amp and it was sweet what a sound field Smile.gif It was all there !!

Craig

Yeah, a good paper in oil cap can really be amazing. I have liked them for quite a while. Some can sound very ponderous and a bit thick so finding the right vintage edition can be tricky. My Quebecian friend has a handle on some great sounding vintage oils that he swears by that I have yet to hear. My first EICO HF-81 has four vintage oils that were put in by an old tech while the amp was in PA before I got it. I really think that can be wonderful.

As for the new oils that are pricey, some are really worth it. The two brands that stand out are the Jensen and Audionote which are almost on another plain. You can really hear the difference in SET designs. The copper foil Jensens are really worth the ducats in my opinion. Audionote now has a pure Silver Foil model that is quite expensive but people have said it really shines. I havent heard it yet.

Cary/AES uses some lessor quality oils in some of their things, notably the AE-3 with the oil cap upgrade. These reportedly dont sound as extended and open as either the Jensens or Audionote. Jensen is actually a very old company that has been making caps for over 50 years! They sources caps for many people, such as Audionote (before they made their own) and Angela as well as a host of others.

You should give the Jensen or new Audionote (at least copper foil) in your most important cap area (in your best amp) sometime to see. They are not too small but most of those Scott's seem to have plenty of room.

IS there a link to the oils you are using now? Post a pic.

kh

I'll post some Pics later today of them there is no specs. They is really only 2 people you can acquire them from as far as I know and there both on ebay. They do just what your saying the Audionote and Jensons do and for as cheap as Orange Drops !! They ship directly from the Ukraine LOL !!!

When you say using those caps in the most crucial place I would take you mean the Cup caps between the Phase splitters and the output tubes right ?

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 07-27-2002 at 08:04 AM

I was bidding on an Eico last weekend and got cold feet, mostly because of this type of thing.

The vintage stuff probably does sound great, but the pieces are old and due for failure. I think one really needs to have an idea of what is going on inside those things before wiring them up to our beloved Klipsch.

Can anyone imagine anything more frightening than someone like me poking around in there. That's right, give ole Dean, "Mr. Fix-it", a whack at that thing!cwm24.gif

This message has been edited by deang on 07-27-2002 at 09:52 AM

I too have been looking for an Eico but because I have no fix it skills, have been waiting for a mint to near mint unit (ala Chris Robinson's) to come along. As for the Scott, I remember reading another post where Craig said he would fix someone elses Scott 299 as long as the owner paid for the parts.

That kind of stuck in my head and I thought if the right one came along at the right price, I would pick one up. If I didn't think it was right, I knew I could send it to Craig. And that's basically what happened here. I found one in my local paper for a good price and although it sounded good, I knew it wasn't quite right. The next day it was on it's way to Craig.

This board is the greatest,

Mike

When I saw the topic, "I invision Mike Lindsey..." I thought I might see in the post, "...wearing a black Victoria's Secret (fill in the blank)," but NOOOO! Another post about tube amps!

fini

hey,guy's reading this post has come really excited. i recently purchase a Lk72b equvelent of 299d,its not functioning properly, and is to be sent back for repair,a filter cap might be the problem according to seller's tech.

This is like a tonic that has rejunivated the flow ,its cool to hear the passion ouses out for getting the best out of this amp.I only hope whoever is fixing mine is 1/2 as passinate.

Deang craig will have every owning a scott,including you.

Mike this is going to blow you awaaay.

Kelly here's the Pics if you want to try 4 for your cup caps on YE Old EICO let me know. I would like to hear your Opinion of them.

capacitors.jpg

capacitors2.jpg

capacitors3.jpg

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

Kelly ,

In a Scott there are a total of 12 cup caps 4 -.047MFD 4- .022MFD 4- .1MFD I used them in all position's. all are at 400V except the .1 mfd and they are at 1000V

They cost me about 1.75 each so let me know what your EICO uses and I'll ship them out to you. I have all the values listed above.

Craig

NOS,

if kelly says those things are an improvement i may have to get some from you.

need to get my eico in top condition (sounds great to me now) so that one day i can show deang just how good these little eicos are and how 'those earbleeders' attached to it are a godsend. Smile.gif

------------------

HT - Klipsch Synergy Premiere

Audio - Heresy, KG4

Craig, I just get more nervous shipping these old pieces but I might do it. Since I have more than one it makes it a bit less worrisome. Then again, I havent had the ole soldering iron out in a few months; I might get too rusty if I wait too much longer!

The EICO calls for .1 and .025 in most of the coupling spots. I was going to stick with the .1 and perhaps move to no higher than .03- or thereabouts in the output coupling caps. Moving to greater value to improve the low end has been less rewarding.

I'll think about sending you the ole beast but am leaning toward burning my own hands for the fun.

Kelly,

I was only half kidding about you sending it in the hope that I might get lucky Smile.gif As you know I've been trying to score a descent restore canidate for almost a year now !! I just refuse to pay 200 to 300 for one of these that needs tons of work. I just want to hear one for myself and see what all the fuss is about !

So just let me know what you want to do. I'm not sure raising the Cap value alone would do you any good what so ever. I'd just use .022 myself.

Craig

Oh and guy's I really don't have 100's of these to be selling to everyone. I played hell getting what I have and there just enough to do my Amps. I may get some more though.

I really don't feel comfortable with selling them. I'm not sure they are completely reliable in the long term. I've only put them in 2 of my amps so far to see what happens with them and see if there values drift or they fail somehow.

I just really don't have much faith in stuff made in the old USSR even if they are Military spec.

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 07-28-2002 at 10:33 AM