The Marantz 2385 powerhouse, is it any good?

mustang guy

LOL! It's Sunday man... Don't I get a day off? I like a good discussion, as much as the next guy. Feel free to disagree with me and tell me why. ;)

"Need" more work? I think not.... PLENTY on my plate.... Always welcome though, but most don't want to wait for my slow @$$ anyways. lol

I've been a member here for a long time, but as you can see, I only have 115 posts. That busy enough for you?

Edited by paul79
  • Like 1

Couldn't agree more...  With as much of a backlog as you have (and I don't think I'm telling any secrets...), you deserve and need a little rest.  Peering into circuit boards and solder joints all week does get a little....challenging, shall we say...thanks for all of your exceptional experience in this part of the universe....

Serviceability is far from what really makes the 1250 receiver desirable. I'd take a 1250 over the 2385 for sonic reasons alone.

I would take a Luxman R-117 over either one. ;)

Its been a while since I've heard one, but I would probably cast my vote that the Luxman R-117 just may be one of the last great stereo receivers. 

I would also have to cast a vote for the Nakamichi TA-4A receiver (I've got a decent example in my receiver stash to restore at some point, but need a remote), which was from a similar time-period as the R-117. 

I believe the TA-4A was made during the late 1980s and used the STASIS amp design (Nelson Pass amp design).  The Nakamichi TA-4A was the Nakamichi flagship receiver back then and I belive they sold for ~ $1,300. 

Not one of the big bruisers; however, the sound quality is excellent and the power output of the TA-4A is 100 wpc  at 8 ohms with "dynamic" power listed at 132 wpc.

post-36163-0-27600000-1410752720_thumb.j

post-36163-0-70560000-1410756644_thumb.j

post-36163-0-96520000-1410756667_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

Darn it Paul, you can rest once my receivers are done! ;)

The 1250 is also the only receiver I have had on my bench that doubles down into 4 ohms. The ONLY receiver.

hmmm... so I guess it should make a good subwoofer amp ;)

Guess I need to get back to work :)

Subwoofer amp.... Well, if you are not using it for anything else, go for it! It will do the job nicely. Even better, 2 subs.  ;)

Edited by paul79
  • Like 1

The 1250 is also the only receiver I have had on my bench that doubles down into 4 ohms. The ONLY receiver.

Subwoofer amp.... Well, if you are not using it for anything else, go for it! It will do the job nicely. Even better, 2 subs.  ;)

It would be capable of running two 8 ohm speakers off each channel wired in parallel. 

I thought I'd get more of a rise out of you with my "sub amp" comment.  Kind of like when I mentioned to Craig about using a VRD ST as an amp for a pair of subwoofers.  

Lately, the 1250 is going on every morning.   

It looks as good as it sounds for sure!  Absolutely worthy of excellent care. I can't get over the beautiful walnut cabinet on this one compared to others I've seen.  Has some really nice figuring!   I'm turning it on when I first get up in the morning... a good way to start the day.  It has not seen near the use that it deserves.

I was serious about the VRD's but more as a very temporary situation.

Keep thinking I'd like to find a Marantz for fun.  I have a knack for finding some good ones (sometimes for cheap but usually not).  Wait and see what I run into I guess.

Edited by muel

Yep. I remember the cabinet on that one. Never seen another that cool on a 1250, and likely never will. Bet I've rebuilt 10 of them this year alone, and I couldn't tell you how many in the last 18 years. There are literally tons of them out there. Pioneer really won over several people with its charms.

I recently got the privilege of rebuilding a new old stock 1250. The guy bought the thing from some guy who never took it out of the box! He took it out of the box, looked at it, packed it back up and brought it to me. I put the first power to it since it was packed up by Pioneer in 1978. Very cool.

I just parted with me recapped 1250. It was beautiful and very powerful. But even after the recap I couldn't fall in love with it. It had a warm and beautiful midrange but the imaging wasn't there and it felt rolled off on the top end. This was even after the recap. I actually preferred my NADs (7240PE and 7100 Monitor) to the Pioneer - they seemed to have better bass control and higher reaches.

I wanted to love the 1250 but couldn't.

Now the exception here is the phono - I found the phono on the Pioneer to be excellent. I don't know if it's my turntable or the amp but I'm not loving phono as much through my 7100.....

Rolled off top end? That and the 1250 are not synonymous at all.

The sparkling crystal clear top end is one of the things the 1250 does better than anything I have heard, and it throws a massive soundstage. Something was not right with it. There are at least 20 transistors that need replacing in that receiver as well as all the zener diodes, relays, and trim pots. Capacitor choices are somewhat critical also.

Cameron will be chiming in :)

Edited by paul79

Forget the vintage stuff and buy this and a QSC PLX amp:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151966-parasound-halo-p3-preamp/

Burn the witch!!! :o:angry:

:P

But... How do we know that she's a witch?

Because he wants to put an amp with a fan into the listening room.

Aw, come on, not my first rodeo.  Panaflow low flow fan fixes this for about $8.