Belle Bass section question

Turbox

I have been thinking a little more about building a custom cabinet for a centre channel. I was looking at the belle bottom to see what could be done with it. I was thinking about a couple modifications to the bass bin to allow some horns to be installed on the face of the cabinet, ie a 510 and 703. the important pieces to this are obviously the horn flare. its easy to keep the same dimensions(I think). I've changed the bin a bit which will add more volume to the cabinet. I think that if needed I could reduce the internal volume of the cabinet to match the same as the original.

Thoughts, will this work? I would mount the 510 and 703 on the face of the newly modified cabinet.

post-55152-0-23320000-1411860388_thumb.j

• Like 1

Ok, I will have to give this some more thought then. I might have to build a slant riser.

With a slant riser, watch out for the acoustic shadow of people's knees.

If you build your own top hat to sit on top of your bigger bass bin, couldn't the tweeter be placed at seated ear level (with the mid just below)?  The Belle's original top hat can be taken off.

Hi Guys,

What was originally just an idea in my head, I did a little work on the design this morning over a coffee and wanted to throw this out there to get some more feedback. I have some un answered questions, however i think this might be the solution to my centre channel Blues. I kept the same angle for the horn throat which is 30 deg. however the horn extends further than the original. the horn length is a bit longer, which makes the mouth larger. it does however follow the same line as the Belle at 30 Deg.

1. What are the dimension of the angled piece in the centre of the Belle Bottom. 2/14 by ??

2. Because the horn length is a little longer, what effect with that have?

3. Inside the doghouse, you can see that the magnets are quite close to each other, they will be within 1/4 of an inch of the one behind it. Will the magnets on the drivers affect each other?

Yesterday, along with a few tweeks on my sub, i pulled my centre channel apart, I am currently using a La Scala bottom, 510, 703. it sounded fantastic. I thought this would closely resemble what i am trying to achieve with the Belle Bottom. 

Thoughts? Should i change anything.

post-55152-0-99100000-1412514056_thumb.j

• Like 1

The learning curve is a bit high. There is a nice tutorial thread here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/36532-hornresp-dum-hmm-everyone.html; however, I think there are some folks here who could do this whole thing in about 5 minutes for you. It would take me about 2 hours at my level of knowledge and practice...

Here are the T/S specs on the round magnet K33:

post-47699-0-84640000-1412545140_thumb.p

Edited by mustang guy

So what your saying is that if I narrowed the angle, the dispersion wouldn't be as wide, or lets call it higher directivity.  I kept the same angle of 30deg because that's what the Belle had. Overall, I like the design and look.