Experiment with outboard Yamaha MX-800 Amps

Bubo

Thought I'd try 3 Yamaha  MX-800s front ended by my existing Pioneer Elite VSX 21 TXH Receiver, which already sounds great.

Phase 1, Unit test to ensure Yamahas work individually, used a bench top stereos for a week each. Done

Phase 2:

*Systems test phase, started yesterday

*Using the B3s, C3, S3s, and RW 12 D Reference woofer.

First listens are existing Pioneer MCACC room equalizations settings.

Listened to some complex modern music using the THX Settings that derive 5.1 from a 2.0 Stereo Source CD.

This Delerium tune (from the Karma LP) is a always a good stress test for any system, the new set-up delivered it in 5.1 with surprising clarity, accuracy and surround effect. Sounds great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAMeXjeswWg&index=1&list=PLC5DF58B378E55371

Phase 3, Bi Amp the C3, the Pioneer supports this via the B Speaker outputs, I still have some reading and head scratching to do on this one.

Phase 4, recalibrate MCACC using Yamaha Amps.

Phase 5, may try LaScalas as front LR, and a Heresy 1 for the center and leave the S3s as the rears, no where to put the Heresys behind me, too large for the shelves. Yes I need a bigger room.

Before

gallery_47220_9_469562.jpg

After

gallery_47220_143_593555.gif

Edited by Bubo

I'll bet that will sound excellent. You're going to need a bigger component rack.

Don McClain will have to find a new home, if I keep moving forward on this.

The last phase will be deciding if I keep the venerable Mac gear, it does sound so good with vinyl, that which it was designed for.

• 1 month later...

It's a keeper, built out the rack and integrated the components last week.

The new cables and a few adapters and cooling fans are on order.

Perhaps the best system that I have listened to, and that's with the Synergy B3, S3 and C3 speakers, with better speakers, I'm sure the sound would only get better, the last 1%....

gallery_47220_143_1765258.jpg

I want a rack like you have.  Space friendly and strong.

Rack approx $140 delivered, buy extra 6MM screws and whiz nuts at the HW store and don't use the 5MM screws they provide for attaching the vertical and horizontal parts, drill out the holes for the casters too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IZ787K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Power conditioner $135 , high and low voltage protection, and a sequencer to turn on and off all of the gear, great deal at this price from a quality manufacturer the sells Mil, Telco and Commercial power gear.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028RCZSS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are excellent quality shelves, 15 inches fits most gear. I bought some quality surplus telco shelves on the auction site at about half this price, but the one Startech I have is definitely a better shelf.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-19-Inch-Universal-Cantilever-Cabinet/dp/B008X3JHJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8qid=1418187212&sr=8-1&keywords=startech+rack+shelf

On the stereo rack with the Mac gear I didn't need fans, the Yamaha amps when stacked get the chimney effect, so I have one fan now and two on order that I have blowing down from the top of each Amp, the sequencer turns them on and off with the rest of the gear. Note  the spaces I leave between each piece of gear for cooling.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLV4BWC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The thing with the old Yamaha amp is the SQ and sometime the multiple amps may be cheaper than a flagship amp.  The downside is the flagship avr will have all the extra bells and whistles.  It all depends on what you are looking for and what you already have to work with in the system.

Question: instead of three dedicated amps, would buying a flagship Denon AVR produce the same results?

In high tech there was a term that we used which is "spec out", the gear has to spec out with the other top gear to get to the bench test and field trails phases.

The Yamahas are outstanding amps both in their specs and in their sound, second to none in my opinion.

As long as you are willing to maintain the Amps, they will run 30 years or longer.

The surround amps are typically a 5 year proposition before you need new chip sets, so the amp section is discarded after 5 years or worth almost zero.

If you are lucky, the Denon TOTL may sound as good as the Yamahas, unlikely it would sound better, 5 years on you would still have your investment in the Yamahas, the Denon would fetch a few hundred. I doubt the Denon specs out with the Yamahas.

As you can see the footprint for my surround system is more than the Receiver alone, actually I went vertical for this reason.

The Pioneer that I have is TXH rated, which is a good thing and mostly in the pre-amp section. It's too bad Pioneer stopped making surround pre-amps, their auto learning feature is a world beater and worth every penny.

I did this mostly out of curiosity, I was so impressed with the sound of the Yamaha Amps, I purchased 4 of them. I like the sound of this set up enough, that I am making it permanent. My cables and adapters arrived today, so I am re-cabling and systems testing before shoving the rack back to the wall. Life would be easier if my Laptop had HDMI interfaces, but it's not worth the money to upgrade at this time.

I purchased the middle quality cables from Cables for Less, they seem to be acceptable for the job, considering that I needed all new cables for two rack and two other stacks of gear, the prices were very reasonable. So far they seem OK, the cleats on the Toslink optical cables could be better, the pull out just a little too easily.

I have to wait a few weeks for the next Rev on the fans to arrive from China so I can order them, which will lower the rack temp to ambient for the room.

Next project is adding some casters to the bottom of the LaScalas.