Help deciding an amp for my RF-7 HT

Jimm2

So your room is small with a 5.1 setup and you only listen at around 90 db's? Why would you need an external amp? A flagship AVR with 140 w/ch will be more than sufficient with your room and listening levels. Save the extra money and buy another subwoofer IMO. The payoff meaning smile on your face with another sub rather than an amp will be much more satisfying.

I thought the RF7's have a wicked impedance dip that most AVR's can't handle. I know your Denon benched pretty well though. To me pre/pro is the way to go because of the tech changes so frequently. You can keep the amp forever and just switch out pre's

I agree about the tech changing frequently but the Flagship AVRs have also come down in price. It is the impedance dips you need to worry about with RF-7s but the upper end Denons are rated to drive speakers that are 4 ohm on all channels. Fwiw, the Denon AVR-4520ci can be had for between $1,000 to $1300 and that is cheaper than most Preamps that I've seen on the market and you get Audysseey X32 with dual subwoofer EQing which is pretty cool.

True. However, I got my Outlaw amp a year old for $1000.

So your room is small with a 5.1 setup and you only listen at around 90 db's? Why would you need an external amp? A flagship AVR with 140 w/ch will be more than sufficient with your room and listening levels. Save the extra money and buy another subwoofer IMO. The payoff meaning smile on your face with another sub rather than an amp will be much more satisfying.

I thought the RF7's have a wicked impedance dip that most AVR's can't handle. I know your Denon benched pretty well though. To me pre/pro is the way to go because of the tech changes so frequently. You can keep the amp forever and just switch out pre's

I agree about the tech changing frequently but the Flagship AVRs have also come down in price. It is the impedance dips you need to worry about with RF-7s but the upper end Denons are rated to drive speakers that are 4 ohm on all channels. Fwiw, the Denon AVR-4520ci can be had for between $1,000 to $1300 and that is cheaper than most Preamps that I've seen on the market and you get Audysseey X32 with dual subwoofer EQing which is pretty cool.

Fwiw, I got my AVR-4311ci a year ago (NIB with a 4 year warranty) for $1200 and  I didn't need to purchase an external amp--Right now I am watching/listening to  Pink Floyd's Pulse DVD at -3 on the MV after Audyssey calibration and it sounds AWESOME in "9.2" . :emotion-22:

Edited by tkdamerica

• Moderators
If Dean says that it's 3.8, Ohms then unless I see that S&V graph I will trust him.

Seems the RF-7ii dip down to around 3.7.  As you can see in this thread, others share they "thought" the original RF-7's dipped down to 2.7.  Maybe those numbers were just passed along the years as bad information. 

Klipsch%2520RF7%2520II%2520Impedence%252

If Dean says that it's 3.8, Ohms then unless I see that S&V graph I will trust him.

Seems the RF-7ii dip down to around 3.7.  As you can see in this thread, others share they "thought" the original RF-7's dipped down to 2.7.  Maybe those numbers were just passed along the years as bad information. 

Fwiw, I shared that link to that thread in my first post in this thread and tend to agree with you.

Fwiw, I got my AVR-4311ci a year ago (NIB with a 4 year warranty) for $1200 and  I didn't need to purchase an external amp--Right now I am watching/listening to  Pink Floyd's Pulse DVD at -3 on the MV after Audyssey calibration and it sounds AWESOME in "9.2" . :emotion-22:

No clipping? I kid, I kid