Surround Backs - what to use

kmx

Only two! Wow that has just not been the case in my experience. Lots of great rear speaker content movies.

With that said I can totally see how if not set up right the rears can be lost and a waste for someone. Every room is different so set up will be room dependent.

Don't break the bank but also don't waste your time if your going to half *** it.

I should also disclose that I've had my system in place for a whopping 2 1/2 weeks. They didn't get on the wall until October 20. Haven't exactly had time to go rent a bunch of blu-rays in that time. All of Netflix is all 5.1, both Metallica and STP's concerts are 5.1, most kids movies are 5.1... installing it differently ain't going to help with that. :)

Probably not enough time to have a good opinion of it yet then :) 

• Like 1

Yeah, just seems like everything I pick up is 5 channel or at best has weak ambience. Green Day concert last night? 5 channel.

However, watched a good chunk of Godzilla too, based on that and the strong material on Edge of Tomorrow, I think mine are a little far apart. But, I'm not sure I can do much about it. Ideally I'd have two rows of three seats and the front seats would be pretty far away from the rear surrounds. I have one row of four and the back is 4' away from the wall. Ambience and mono signals are fine but when there are separate signals that are strong, the seats on the outsides are at a pretty low angle from the furthest back surround, and there's not as much separation between them and the side surrounds as I expected, basically rear surround still sounds kinda like side surround due to the angle. I may have to close them up a little.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Yeah, just seems like everything I pick up is 5 channel or at best has weak ambience. Green Day concert last night? 5 channel.

However, watched a good chunk of Godzilla too, based on that and the strong material on Edge of Tomorrow, I think mine are a little far apart. But, I'm not sure I can do much about it. Ideally I'd have two rows of three seats and the front seats would be pretty far away from the rear surrounds. I have one row of four and the back is 4' away from the wall. Ambience and mono signals are fine but when there are separate signals that are strong, the seats on the outsides are at a pretty low angle from the furthest back surround, and there's not as much separation between them and the side surrounds as I expected, basically rear surround still sounds kinda like side surround due to the angle. I may have to close them up a little.

maybe try some direct firing speakers for a few weeks then switch back and see which you prefer.
  • Like 1