Lossless recordings

AaronH

I know lossess is lossless is PCM etc, but I bought the Bob Marley "Legend" pure audio blu ray (audio only) and it has DTS-HD MA, Dolby True HD, and PCM all 24/96htz. I switch back and forth in all 3 formats and the only 2 that sound the same are DTS HD MA and PCM. The Dolby true HD is a good 2-3 db louder. Do they have dynamic compression associated in their format?

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/dts-hd-master-audio-vs-dolby-truehd

Dolby True HD is about 4 dB louder IIRC (and I can't find the thread where this is discussed in more detail). 

All three formats are lossless, so the difference to the user is the position of his/her volume control knob only. Perhaps the "dialog normalization" of Dolby (not adjustable by the user) might be higher or lower based on what the manufacturer chose.

Apparently, DTS-HD MA is clearly winning the movie soundtrack war. 

If I were you, I'd try listening to the PCM track on your Marley disc, especially if it is better than 48 kHz sampling rate.

• Like 2

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/dts-hd-master-audio-vs-dolby-truehd

Dolby True HD is about 4 dB louder IIRC (and I can't find the thread where this is discussed in more detail). 

All three formats are lossless, so the difference to the user is the position of his/her volume control knob only. Perhaps the "dialog normalization" of Dolby (not adjustable by the user) might be higher or lower based on what the manufacturer chose.

Apparently, DTS-HD MA is clearly winning the movie soundtrack war. 

If I were you, I'd try listening to the PCM track on your Marley disc, especially if it is better than 48 kHz sampling rate.

When it comes to music, I prefer PCM as well.  The DTS HD on some of my music offerings sounds a little over baked with the rears coming and going.

I think the Dolby sounded over-baked not the DTS .
Granted this is 2.0, but my experience has been the opposite, where by the DTS-HD sound track has all kinds of blemishes. Once again, that has only been with movies. I haven't had the chance to test the waters with 2.0 music in either codec.

I really agree with Derrick on this one... it's a good thing all the options are available for you to compare.

This is the way digital music should be packaged.  :emotion-21: