surge protection on projector?

Paducah Home Theater

A direct wire surge protector in your rack that is attached to romex surrounded by conduit inside of the wall running into your attic seems to be the most proper solution if possible. It's a little too late for that for me.

When did a surge protector end up in this discussion?  Previous discussion was about a UPS to provide temporary (and dirty) power to a projector during power loss.  A surge protector does not do that.  Is functionally and completely different from a UPS.  Is for a completely different anomaly. And can only protect from surges when connected low impedance to other critically important components of a surge protection system.

No surge protector provides temporary and dirty power during a blackout.

Edited by westom

If you want to talk about science, think about what happens when you just turn the power off. The bulbs don't just go off and cool down on their own due to the lack of fans. The fans are keeping the bulbs and the rest of the unit cool. Turning off the fans likely lets the bulbs get hotter than usual, ...

Nonsense. Heat (temperature) does not increase when a bulb is powered off. Without a fan, cooling continues - just slower.

Does slower cooling damage a bulb? Well after many generations, this would be the first time I have ever see or heard of it - from virtually every bulb manufacturer. Another lesson from generations of doing this stuff: when a claim exists without saying why, then it is usually hearsay, myth, or outright lie.

I'm wondering why when we cook food that when you take meat off the heat source it continues to hear internally usually another 5 degrees or so. Also with pasta or veggies or shrimp. If they are perfect you blanch them in cold water to stop the cooking immediately otherwise they continue to hear internally and cook possibly more than desired?

I'm on board with the bulb still heating up, not a lot, maybe a degree or two and then cooling down.

If temperature increases another 5 degrees without any input heat, then it is a miracle.  Contact the Pope.

When meat is removed from a 350 degree F oven, it only cools eventualy to 300 degrees F.  And therefore still cooks.  If pasta is cooled with water, it remains at something less than 100 degree C - and continues to cook inside.

Somebody doesn't know how to cook a steak.

Ever hear of "resting"? Why do you think this is done? When you sear a thick steak you heat up the outside. That doesn't mean the center immediately gets hot, it's probably still cold. You pull it off the heat and let it rest. During this time, heat from the outside transfers to the center, making the center hotter than before you pulled it off of the fire. If you just let it sit there on the fire until the center is like you like it, first of all you'd burn the outside to a crisp, second of all, it would continue to cook for way too long and your center will be overdone.

Seems more like basic physics phenomenon where heat is going to seek an equilibrium point.  I could be wrong; however, I believe that weston may be trying to say that once the power is cut, the bulb will not get hotter than the hottest point within the glass. Of course, that hottest portion will need to find its equilibrium point, whether to a cooler component inside the bulb or the cooler air outside the bulb or both. 

Given the nature of the components within a bulb, is there such a thing where there is a significant difference in heat retention and heat dissipation of components within a bulb?

I suspect that inrush current from turning off and on before the cool cycle is complete could apply stress to the inside components of a bulb.  In addition, I don't know if there are components that are heat-sinked outside of the bulb that operate at higher temperatures and would seek an equilibrium point using the bulb as a "type" of heat-sink until equilibrium is reached.

What type of bulbs?  Are we talking about bulbs with a filament or without a filament?

Regarding the steak analogy, the entire steak does not increase in temperature over the hottest portion; however, ultimately you have a portion of the steak that is hotter than the center and that heat energy in the exterior is passed to the center and the initially cooler center continues to rise in temperature as the heat seeks that equilibrium point.  Note that heat will also dissipate to the outside air too and this dissipation will be much faster when the steak is placed on a cool plate at room temperature.

Personally, I'm not an advocate of the "resting" school for steaks as it introduces too many variables and I believe that if I hit the center to just below my desired temperature, then the 5 mintes it takes to go from the grill to the plate, then sit down and cut is enough 'resting' time for me. 

The problem with resting a steak becomes in calculating how much the center temperature will rise and when the center of the meat will stop cooking, for which a person would need to take into account the heat of the grill, thickness of the meat, the ratio of surface to meat, amount of bone, etc., etc., etc.  

Overall, unless a person has cooked a huge number of steaks, I believe that resting may result in a steak that is more often than not, cool with a soft crust and an overcooked center with no significant impact on juiciness. Of course, I agree that with resting, there will be less juice to mop up on the plate. :emotion-14:

Edited by Fjd

while I never claimed to be a science major or pay attention in high school I do watch a lot of food network and cook a lot.

Read this: http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2010/11/give-your-meat-a-rest/

You might enjoy these articles by Meathead Goldwyn. He has a lot of great tips for ribs and a few novel ways to prepare turkey. Every recipe of his that I've used has gone over well and been a hit.

All About Juiciness, And Debunking The Resting Meat Rule: It's Time To Give This Myth A Rest And Stop Crying Over Spilled Juices

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_resting_meat.html

Meat Science

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/meat_science.html

As for resting, its really only useful on super thick steaks that resemble a meat cake. Otherwise its stupid.

About the only meat that I will "rest" would be a pork butt that sat on the smoker for a large portion of the day.  I just don't like a "rested" steak as the aspects that I enjoy most are lost.

You could use a power inlet (http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=5278-C&section=41854&minisite=10251) then run a short extension cord (which is fine as long as it's not inside your wall) to connect it to your surge suppressor.

Or, you could run a circuit and use a surge suppression receptacle (http://store.leviton.com/Suppressor-Receptacle-Industrial-Grounding-Indicator/dp/B00700RT8E#.VHANr908KrU) at the projector.

Good luck.