Crown Power

babadono

I use the XLS-202 to power my 2 THT's, and I recommend it. They have replaced it with an XLS-1000 I believe. No matter, just whatever size you need for your application with some headroom...

The XTi is AB I think, and the XLS is a Class D. I will come back and correct this if I am mistaken.

I'm right, I just checked. Most experts agree that Class D is best bang for buck on subs. More efficient, cooler, lighter, and for low frequencies just as good.

Hey Craig,

How'd you figure out the XTi-2 is class AB? I've been searching Crown's website for half an hour and I can't find it. Thinking I'll call Crown tech suppport on Monday.

Yep, you are correct. Just got off the phone with Kip at Crown tech support. He says the 3 lower wattage XTi 2s are class AB +B. Which means there is a master pair of output devices running class AB and slave devices running class B. The masters smooth out the crossover distortion that would be present if all devices were class B. The biggest amp is class I.

• 4 weeks later...

I am thinking about buying an amp to power a pair of F20 subs for my HT, I was leaning towards a Crown XLS1500, second choice might be an iNuke 3000DSP but

would probably pick Crown due to me knowing the "Brand" name better.

WIll a XLS1500 a good match for  2 F20s?

F20s will be a spring project, once the weather is nice enough to work outside.

I had one for a short while and it was great.  A consideration is a DSP modle.  Very useful for tunning a sub.

Derrick,

Yea I was thinking it would be handy to have the DSP on board. Did you ever use the sub harmonmic synthesizer?

Somehow I missed this one.  I don't even know what a sub harmonic synthesizer is.  I wasn't planning on looking anything up today, lol. B):(

Possibly HPower. What exact drivers are you using? Need to know impedance too...

I have not done a ton of planning yet but the "Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 15" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm"

seems to be commonly used in the F20 builds.

Is this the best driver choice?

I wonder what different driver Carl has tried in his builds.

Would the think the 2 x 525Ws at 4 Ohms of the XLS 1500 should match well with that'd driver in 2: F20s?

PE has $40 off on the XLS 1500 until the end of Dec.

Yesterday I messaged unique square on FleaBay and asked if they would pass on the $40 Crown instant rebate that is being offered until the end of Dec. and they

responded by saying to try entering a price in the "Make an Offer".

So I offered $278, instead of the "buy it now price" of $318.

Offer accepted and XLS 1500 will arrive on Dec. 31.

Not a bad price for anybody wanting one of these right now.