Dobie Brothers Cornwalls for sale.

The seller is not saying that the speakers were owned by the Doobie Brothers.......he is selling speakers that might of been owned by the Dobie Bothers. He is not misrepresenting himself with this add, there very well might be a Dobie Bother in some phone book ........somewhere.

Not selling you a con, but preying on your stupidity!

Kris

Those Cornwalls are 1977 flush-front CDBR models. Somebody added the black paint to the front of them and quarter round moulding so that they could take the standard grille cloth inserts. The tweeters have been replaced with non-Klipsch tweeters.

As for the Dobie Bothers...that could mean that they belonged to Maynard G. Krebbs, the main Dobie Bother from the old Dobie Gillis Show? Maybe they spent some time on Gilligan's Island too? Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

I can just see ole Bob tryin to hustle Mary Ann or Ginger by saying "C'mon over to my hut, the Skipper's gone and we can crank up the Cornwalls as loud as we want!!" Smile.gif

------------------

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 08-01-2002 at 07:43 PM

I think the seller must be confused. I'll bet it was actually a couple of local dopers referred to as the "doobie" brothers. That's the only explanation I can imagine. They probably blew the tweeters cranking the speakers when they were stoned, then replaced them with $5 tweeters instead of repairing the originals.

Could be a good deal if you want birch or black, or have the time and skills to veneer them. Don't forget to add the cost of the tweeters back into the equation.

Kelly,

no, not designer..."decorator" models, but they were labelled either CDBR "Cornwall Decorator Birch Raw" OR CBR "Cornwall Birch Raw"...either way, they were the same build as each other...and these are the flush front cabinet build...with quarter round moulding added later and the fronts painted black....note the ply edges of the tops of the sides...AND note the plys running from side to side along the front's top edge...this denotes a flush-front cabinet model...the proper cabinet for 1977...since the later model began in production sometime around mid-1978...a number of months AFTER the changeover of the birch Heresy flush-front cabinet design in late 1977.

------------------

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 08-01-2002 at 10:55 PM

Why in the hell would you want speakers owned by a rock group that probably played the LOUD at parties with BAD material?

That would be like buying a Toyota that a ex drag racer owned, probably got a little abused...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!