Plunge Saws, let's hear about them

tigerwoodKhorns

The box I'm building for my son is MDF.  Anything I can do to keep that nasty stuff out of the air I'll do.  I still wear a mask as well when I'm routing.  For floor clean up and general vacuum duties, a Shop-Vac is perfect.  I still use mine.

Yes, man made wood has glue and bonding adhesives (harsh chemicals) in it. You do not want to breathe that stuff in, plus the dust is so fine it's like talcum powder. Woodworking shops go a long way in cleaning up the air.

Well, as I am not allergy prone and the work is done in the garage, I am mainly interested in simply keeping sawdust off the floor and such.  Not sure I am seeing much more than a convenience issue.  Right now, I just sweep it up...

Dave

This is far more important than convenience.  My daughter is a physician seeing an increasing number of patients with lung disease in woodworkers.

Bill, I am unlikely to offset 50 years of tobacco with such woodworking projects as I am going to be doing.  However, interesting info.  Never thought about wood dust as a lung issue...though I could certainly see it from the MDFs and other chemically bonded and augmented modern products.  You say "increasing."  Is this relatively recent?  That might explain it.

Dave