Sony AVR Receiver

effxz

Hi everyone I am looking for a new mid line receiver and I have spotted this sony one:

http://store.sony.ca/gsi/webstore/WFS/SNYNA-SNYCA-Site/en_CA/-/CAD/ViewProduct-Start?SKU=31-STRDN1050

It seems to have good reviews and has some decent power. Just wondering your thoughts on this? Any recomendations on another produt similar in price?

Looking to power rf82 ii surround speaker package.

I have no experience with a Sony AVR, so I can only go by what I have read in different forums. I actually have not seen many negatives on things like sound quality, but I have seen several complaints on reliability......and just flat out failing. On specs and connectivity, both the STR-DN850 and STR-DN1050 look like nice receivers for the money. As far as reliabilty, one also has to realize, people are more prone to go on forums and complain as opposed to congratulate when it comes to their experiences.

Having said that, I am partial to the Yamaha RX-V677 in that price range, given my experience with Yamaha and the reviews I have read, but as I have said in other threads, I really don't like to steer people too hard toward a particular brand nor model of AVR as I feel like it is more personal taste than anything. I find that modern lower and mind-priced AVRs are really much more alike than they are different.

Bryant 

I have what is probably an older version of the next step down from that.  It worked great for two channel stereo.  What I didn't like was that the menu on the receiver was not intuitive at all, and most of the processing modes introduced this harsh sound that almost sounded like a slight echo, turn on the processing and suddenly my warm soft domes sounded more like cheap aluminum horns.  Using it in pass-through mode with no correction and no processing was fine, but almost anything can do that.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters