Heresy and Marantz

buckaroo

Would like to post images. Trying to discover how to do that on this forum. Looks like they need to be posted somewhere online then insert the URL after clicking the photo button? So you can't insert them directly into a post?

Click on "more reply options"  on lower right when posting. Browse and upload from there.

• Like 1

post-59528-0-91060000-1419955317_thumb.j

Marantz 2238 I purchased new in the 1970's. Works perfect. Stays covered when not in use. It lives in my basement right now and is kept company by a pair of Klipsch KG 2.2 I purchased new circa 1993. Both are all original except for replacement lamps in the Marantz. Even the original Monster "made in USA" speaker cables.

Edited by buckaroo
  • Like 1

Your screen name is "Buckaroo?"  Are you a fan of Frazier speakers?  (Frazier Buckaroo)

+++

Nice compare/contrast review of the Marantz units.  Folks here love the vintage electronics with the vintage speakers, and the 2238 is a classic collector's item I bet many people have owned and remember.  I've heard the 2238 and it has a fantastic sound, great mid-range with detail.

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

Would like to post images. Trying to discover how to do that on this forum. Looks like they need to be posted somewhere online then insert the URL after clicking the photo button? So you can't insert them directly into a post?

Click on "more reply options"  on lower right when posting. Browse and upload from there.

Thanks! That seemed to do it. You will see above some lo fi phone pix. Buckaroo name comes from love of Buck Owens. I am unaware of Frazier speakers....to answer the previous poster.

I guess my point then is that there's a fine line between broken in and worn out.  If you use something every day , it's hard to tell when the line was crossed, kind of like caps in crossovers.  You never realize how bad they've gotten till you replace them and everything sounds so much better.  Most people get used to the very gradual degradation over time.

I agree with the above, pics would be great!

Hello buckaroo! 

First and foremost Welcome to the forum!

I would like to tell you that the above posters name is Carl and that he only has your best interest at hand, period!

Capacitors have a life span of usually about 20 years, a recapping is in order for your KG-2s as this negatively affects their sound output, but even worse, in an amplifier, when the caps go bad, you will put out DC voltage and blow those KG-2 speakers! If you check my list, you will note that I also run old vintage Nakamichi amplifiers, 4 of them. A proper capacitor replacement in your Marantz will not change the amps overall signature, but you should get better Bass out of it, just as Carl stated. By the way, that Marantz unit looks beautiful and you should be proud of yourself for taking such good care of it for so long!

Now for a little Klipsch education: Paul Wilbur Klipsch designed and built his speakers in Hope, Arkansas. All the speakers that Paul Desighned and built in Hope are called Heritage speakers, some that Paul had a hand in on are called extended Heritage speakers. Paul sold the company to a distant cousin that moved the Klipsch headquarters to Indianapolis Indiana, the factory in Hope still exists and built your Herisey IIIs, Klipsch has since been sold out to the big conglomerate Audiovox, likewise, your Marantz is now owned by Denon, and is essentially identical to Denon in all but the highest end models.

As I stated, the heritage factory still exists, and your KG-IIs are one of the last home models designed while Paul still owned the company, although Paul did not design that particular speaker. There is a group of us that are getting together in April at a hotel in Hope, to feed the factory workers to show our appreciaton for them continuing the Paul blood line, and to see and listen to each others gear and music. There will be tube amps there and some really huge Klipsch speakers and friendships to be made if you are interested.

I would also like to pose a question to you, especially with your apparent love of old gear! It always suprises me when somebody buys brand new smaller speakers that they could have bought some vintage LaScalas or Klipschorns for a similar price. Why did you choose this route, space??

Once again, welcome to the forum and get rid of your sons speakers and buy him some used Heritage, you will both be happier and he also will have something worth KEEPING for the long hall, just like his father did!

Roger

I chose Heresy III because I liked the sound that they produce but also for space and weight concerns (easier to physically move them).  Thanks for the info. I have been listening to Klipsch speakers since the late 1980's but my first new pair were the KG 2.2 circa 1993. The first pair that I ever heard was La Scala. I was hooked after that experience.

buckaroo,

I was spoiled, My first pair of Klipsch that I ever heard was Klipschorns in the late 70's. First pair a budy owned were LaScalas. First pair I bought was going to be LaScalas, but my dealer did not want to order me any, so I ended up buying Quartets. It has been a long trip traveled since then!

Where do you live?? Is the gathering in Hope something you would be interested in?

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

I chose Heresy III because I liked the sound that they produce but also for space and weight concerns (easier to physically move them).  Thanks for the info. I have been listening to Klipsch speakers since the late 1980's but my first new pair were the KG 2.2 circa 1993. The first pair that I ever heard was La Scala. I was hooked after that experience.

buckaroo,

Your "Physics" argument is the exact same one I used on the wife when I bought my first pair of Klipschorns and later moved up to my Klipsch TSCMs.... Bigger and Heavier = harder to steal!  :D 

Roger

buckaroo,

I was spoiled, My first pair of Klipsch that I ever heard was Klipschorns in the late 70's. First pair a budy owned were LaScalas. First pair I bought was going to be LaScalas, but my dealer did not want to order me any, so I ended up buying Quartets. It has been a long trip traveled since then!

Where do you live?? Is the gathering in Hope something you would be interested in?

Roger

I am in the midwest. About a days drive from Hope. When is this event?

buckaroo,

Your "Physics" argument is the exact same one I used on the wife when I bought my first pair of Klipschorns and later moved up to my Klipsch TSCMs.... Bigger and Heavier = harder to steal!  :D 

Roger

I like it :P

buckaroo,

Roger

I am in the midwest. About a days drive from Hope. When is this event?

buckaroo,

I live in Ohio.

The gathering is April 10th, 11th and 12th in Hope, there is a thread about it, I just bumped it to the top in the forum meetups / klipsch gatherings section of the forum. It will display for you at the top of the main page.

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer