845 or 300b amp with KLF-20?

Little Wolf

Hi guys,

in your opinion, wich amp would better matching with my Legend KLF-20? I'm undecided between Mastersound 300b PSE and 845 Compact.

I listen every music genre, except hip-hop, dance.

Actually I have an EL34 Single Ended amp: it sounds very natural with acoustic music, but isn't good with rock and hard rock, in my opinion.

Thanks

watts will impact the level you can play at but not bass depth or quality. The most powerful sounding amps with the best bass I have heard are the Serious Stereo 2A3 mono blocks. As far as my experience with KLF20 they like to have some watts sou I would suggest you try first before you buy. The only opinion that counts in the end is your own. Best regards Moray James.

If your going with tubes for the 20's I would definitely think about upgrading the parts (if not completely swapping out) the crossover networks. When the stock ones were in mine I could hear random differences in attenuation given the same frequency. B&K Sound would be a good place to start at $260 for a pair starting from scratch. They can also just do a cap upgrade or even just sell you parts for DIY. TI tweeter diaphragms worked out well too.

Edited by Mighty Favog

I use a Yaquin VK 2100 hybird tube amp for my RF 7's.  The amp is 85 watts and has all the power to really push the speakers.  This seems like a good compromise as a power unit.  Tube preamp and SS rear.  No need to bi-amp since there is plenty of power for the woofers.

Hi guys,

in your opinion, wich amp would better matching with my Legend KLF-20? I'm undecided between Mastersound 300b PSE and 845 Compact.

I listen every music genre, except hip-hop, dance.

Actually I have an EL34 Single Ended amp: it sounds very natural with acoustic music, but isn't good with rock and hard rock, in my opinion.

Thanks

Current and watts are needed with a KLF20.  You can go lower powered tubes on the horns but the two 10" woofers go pretty low impedance wise so you will need some oomph. 

Low power with rock and roll seems a little bit of an oxymoron with a speaker like the KLFs unless you don't like punch.

• Like 1