Fight Club: mind = blown

Paducah Home Theater

I thought he was full of it at first but I don't know how else you'd explain Bob's shirt in the car.  Bob got popped in the head and is buried in the back yard remember?  Then why is Bob's shirt and fat melted onto the seat of the wrecked car?  

Not to mention Chuck Palahniuk posted this.  :)  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• Moderators

Oh yea I remember them, the way you describe it don't know if I would like the movie or not ? I even remember listening to fights on the radio with my dad when I was little, listening with dad was the best part not the fight, I didn't really know what was going on but wouldn't have missed it.

dtel, it is an extremely violent mystery.

If you like watching people pummel one-another, you would love it. I've seen it a couple times myself, but I grew up watching boxing. Remember Ali/Frazier?

Watching Fight Club for the fighting is like watching The Matrix for the gunplay. :) I mean, yeah they shoot stuff sometimes, but there's lots of other stuff going on. Both movies are a psychological mind-screw that will have you deeply thinking about it afterwards if you're paying attention. The insomnia aspect of Fight Club is really interesting.

Factoid I read yesterday: apparently some of the fight scenes were real, and Brad Pitt's stomach was so hard that Edward Norton cracked his thumb when punching him. Of course that probably means Edward Norton didn't know how to throw a punch properly.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Wow, Fight Club is one of my favorite movies and this blew my mind. It makes sense that the House is in his head and all the papers stacked that they read are his thoughts and fears.  I heard also that The Shining is similar in that it has a bunch of references about the Federal Reserve etc but I am not as familiar with that movie.

I still would like to think Marla is real, and that it's some sort of ultra-bizarro love story at heart.  Jack is troubled, by the vacuous ethics of consumerism, masculinity in the modern world, etc., and the movie is Jack's schizo coping/growth/realization that he loves Marla.  Crazy attracts crazy, right?

Too hollywood cheesy of an interpretation?  I guess so, given the linked article is by Chuck Palahniuk.

Edited by Ski Bum

I guess so, given the linked article is by Chuck Palahniuk.

Chuck posted it, I don't think he wrote this article. What that means is up to interpretation I guess, whether or not he endorses it. He's the author of the Fight Club book for those who don't know. The movie kind of took on a different direction, the director added and changed a bunch of stuff.

I still would like to think Marla is real, and that it's some sort of ultra-bizarro love story at heart.  Jack is troubled, by the vacuous ethics of consumerism, masculinity in the modern world, etc., and the movie is Jack's schizo coping/growth/realization that he loves Marla.  Crazy attracts crazy, right?

Too hollywood cheesy of an interpretation?  I guess so, given the linked article is by Chuck Palahniuk.

There are a few transcripts from various interviews with Chuck Palahniuk online answering questions.  While the movie follows fairly close to the book for most of the screen time, it does deviate at the end rather significantly.  I'll leave out the 'spoilers' for anyone that may read this and want to read the book.

Whether David Fincher expanded the book concept of Jack/Tyler to, according to the link above, include Marla during the translation of the book-to-screen and new ending, we may never know for sure; however, from the interview below, Palahniuk seemed to like the "cliché" Hollywood romance ending of the two standing there at the end.  I'm fairly certain that the three being the same person was not Pelahniuk's intent.

During the interviews, Palahniuk said he wanted to see the romance emphasized more the whole time due to his intention for the book being, “The story is about a man reaching the point where he can commit to a woman,” although I’m not sure I would have gotten there by reading the book or watching the movie.

http://edition.cnn.com/chat/transcripts/palahniuk.html

Question from Websteria: How did you feel about the ending of the film versus the book? Did you approve of the ending of the film?

Chuck Palahniuk: I approved of it because I wanted to see the romance emphasized more. I realized that would help sell the movie to more people. And the whole story is about a man reaching the point where he can commit to a woman, so the ending is appropriate.