Where is Klipsch now when it comes to improvements of the modern day horn?

Max2

I think Klipsch should improve the Heritage line.

New midrange horns and tweeters, X-overs, who wouldn't want new K-horns, La Scala's, or Cornwalls ??? C'mon man, feed your hungry base of fanatics, we're starving here...

How about a Chorus III's ??? For the base hungry.........

MKP :-)

Edited by MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE

Designing great horns is easy, that research was probably finished in the 50s. Making loudspeakers that sell is a harder problem.

We are unfortunately the vocal minority. I often refer to my Khorns as "squatty refrigerators" when trying to describe their size to someone who knows nothing about them. The average person looking for nice speakers probably wouldn't take them for free if they weren't allowed to sell them. I simply don't see a big market for heritage style speakers. I do wish they would bring the Belles back though.   

Bryant

I think Klipsch should improve the Heritage line. 

New midrange horns and tweeters, X-overs, who wouldn't want new K-horns, La Scala's, or Cornwalls ??? C'mon man, feed your hungry base of fanatics, we're starving here...  

This I actually could see. Klipsch would have to invest in some audio engineers working on this, but not cabinet redesign or new tooling and such.

Bryant 

If the yield point were never exceeded, work-hardening would never happen.

But fatigue (high cycle in this case) is a microscopic phenomena and occurs at the grain boundary level of the material.  High cycle fatigue cracks occur at  "bulk" stresses that are lower than the alloy yield strength (i.e. in the elastic portion of the stress-strain curve).  At the microscopic level stresses can be locally very high, higher than the yield strength and, at that location a crack forms.  That's because grains make attempts to accommodate the strains imposed by the bulk stress and, in the process, rotate and slide against each other.  The field of mechanical metallurgy is largely devoted to understanding how grain boundaries in polycrystalline alloys interact with each other.  They're the "weak" links so to speak. 

• Like 1

Last fall, I picked up a pair of Large Advents (Walnut veneer) for $20.  The cabinets were in good shape, no water damage and the veneers looked ok.  Advents have thick veneers and can take an aggressive sanding.  After sanding, I finished the cabinets in oil, replaced the network caps with some polypropylenes and put the new factory woofers in them (the ones sold by Simply Speakers).   Apparently they source the drivers from the same supplier Advent used in the 70s.   The originals were the ones with the fiber board rings.   

The tweeters were fine and I used them as is.  I replaced the grille cloth too.

The whole job cost about $280 plus some time benching and refinishing the cabinets.   

With these ears, they sound quite good.  I listen to them constantly thru a MA6600 integrated.

The Advents are relatively small and don't require a back brace to move.  They have an understated elegance.  

Small, easy to move and good sound is where the market is and I can appreciate it. 

Edited by John Warren

In my world, typically we say "If it ain't broken don't fix it" ... Not sure how many khorns are getting sold these days, but if you add up the NRE that Paul Klipsch and Klipsch as company had have invested in Heritage line, i won't be surprised if Klipsch hasn't broke even still !!

Also, all the upgrade/update dosen't always lead to the improvement to already great sounding speakers.

That said, Klipsch did make some good improvements to newly released Reference line.

• Like 1