I need a matched quad of Telefunken 12AX7's

Mike Lindsey

Mike,

I used a quad of 60's 12AU7s prior to the Telefunkens I have in now. The Mullards seem to rule the midrange and upper bass region, the Tele's seem to have slightly more upper and lower extension. I have also used '58 NOS RCA 5963(12AU7) black plates which I feel were the best "Bang for Buck" at a cost of $12 each. I plan to roll all of the tubes again going from the Tele's to RCA's, to Mullard's, back to Tele's, just to retest my impressions of each in the near future.

Wes,

Your run of good fortune continues. A quad of 60's Mullards for $81? Were they new? Was the seller a relative? Congrats.

Klipsch out.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jazman,

The seller said they were new in original Blue Mullard Boxes. All have ribbed plates with ring getters. The two I presently have were too sensitive for use in the Eico HF-81. They do perform very well in the Cary preamp. The seller is not an relative but I've bought from him before. Many seem to overlook the virtues of this tube, possibily due to it sensitive nature?

Will see after arrival, if they are as advertised.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Wes,

quote:

did you look at any Harmonic Technology's offerings?

Read some of the remarks and reviews of AA Inmates. There were questions on whether they are rebrands and there seemed to be a lot for sale used on AudiogoN. I found the Silver Audio Hyacinths had many positive comments from Inmates and after discussing interconnects with a few people who knew enough to build SET amps, Hyacinths were regarded highly, especially considering their price/benefit and their use of WBT RCA connectors. Once I listened to them, I decided to standardize on them, and was pleasantly surprised when I posted my find that Allan had been using them for some time and was very happy with them. BTW, you can get a 30 day trial of the Hyacinths with a credit card number. If your components are going to be close together or adjustable height shelves, you may be able to use .5M runs and save a few dollars.

I've been logging as many hours as I can on the TT to break in the cartridge and using Hyacinth there too. I should post a photo late Sunday night or Monday, not sure if I can get a decent "impressions" write up by then, but it will follow shortly. It's all good!

Klipsch out.

jazman,

Thanks! Will take a look at the Hyacinths. My goal is to have 1/2 Meter IC's for the TT and CD connections. Will go with 1 Meter for the SET Amps, as these will likely be placed on the bottom shelf for adequate ventilation on my future stereo rack. I do like that return policy.

Looking forward to that review too.

Many Thanks,

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Mike,

I have not used any Audioquest IC's or wire.

I presently have IXOS Gamma and Studio IC's along with TMC Interconnects. I have a fair amount IXOS speaker wire in conjunction with Kimber 4P and Stinger wire.

Though please with this for the HT, I do want to see if it's possible to gain a bit more clarity and realism from the Klipschorns. So in the very near future, I will likely buy a pair .5 meter Silver Audio Hyacinths to evaluate. Used ones if available in the length.

Sorry I could not be of help on the specific Audioquest products.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Mike,

Wasn't recommending the one's I'm using for a serious audio only set-up. Just using them as they were extras from the HT rig and until I can afford better ones.

No doubt Mobile will give you the real skinny on best candidates. Do recall he spoke highly of DIY IC's. They are not an option for me, as I am not too proficient with a soldering iron.

Much success!

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

• 1 month later...

Have noticed the following refrains in the sites and bb's I've visited over the years:

"Sounds like a Mullard..."

"Sounds almost as good as a Mullard..."

"As close to a Mullard as I've heard..."

"Engineered like a Mullard...."

"Almost as quiet/smooth/tough/full as a Mullard..."

And on and on....

Mind you, I don't have all Mullards in my systems (most are broke right now) but nobody out there seems to compare a tube with anything else (unless they're sticking it in a Marshall Guitar Amp)!

Must be something to it 4.gif