DSD v PCM - Wait to buy a DAC?

eth2

Source is Paramount, No matter what master or whom does a master / remaster you cannot change the original (time travel does not exist) all the new toys that supposedly make a source better are added effects after the fact, Did you ever wonder why on these expensive high rez remasters you can still hear that annoying hiss that resides in the background of a track.  This boils down to 1 thing, Listener preference, do you like the way the remaster sounds, are you partial to the way they attenuate the bass or trebel.......................IMHO if your preference in music is to have a very high rez collection the best you could do would be to go back and search out te original master tapes (ala the tape project)

I believe we will see DSD fall by the wayside for lack of support, The majority of the public wont pay the higher prices

I believe we will see DSD fall by the wayside for lack of support, The majority of the public wont pay the higher prices

I think you are correct but again, some folks want to believe new is better.

It is funny that several large players that sell higher end hardware don't believe that DSD is better though they are selling products with DSD support.  Looks like a marketing strategy to catch whatever you can and if certain support is deemed great and it makes people upgrade (side ways most of the time), they will sell it.

Looks like a marketing strategy to catch whatever you can and if certain support is deemed great and it makes people upgrade (side ways most of the time), they will sell it.

...of course completely discounting the two observations made above (conversion to PCM from DSD isn't created equal, and mastering engineers generally not being able to edit the original DSD tracks to achieve a louder mix). 

I hear the difference, and it's not subtle...by comparing the same tracks (DSD) on the same disc-converted to PCM and not converted by an Oppo BDP-103. 

But...and a big "but"...I've spent some effort to get in-room-equalized horn loaded reproduction down through infrasonic frequencies, and pretty good room acoustics. :mellow:

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Not sure if you are referring to me Chris, but I make no statements about converting from DSD to anything, I am saying the original recording is what it is and ALL Further mastering be it DSD or anything else is added effect, which some may or may not prefer, and that DSD nor any other remaster can make the source more than it was when recorded

certainly they can enhance the bass or ?? through manipulation and if someone finds that pleasing more power to them, I have the deluxe version of moondance because I like the tambourine more evident in the remaster of into the mystic, But that was part of the original source and the initial mastering (not the recording) was poor IMHO 

I will admit I have had no desire to delve into DSD (I honestly look on these new so called improvements as Hype, but that is just me)

No, to Peter Z (quoted).

I honestly look on these new so called improvements as Hype, but that is just me)

Okay, I understand.  It was was my objective to answer the OP's question with first-hand experience in my responses here.

Edited by Chris A

I did the same on page 1 it just seemed the thread was going on into a discussion about the virtues of DSD, so I share my thought on DSD as it nay or may not pertain to the OP question,  I mean no offense

Frankly your points about DSD now have me Curious..........................Just when I thought I was finished with digital  :D

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 1