Klipsch Tweaks/Upgrades...

SWL

Doesn't every Klipsch owner tweak/modify their speakers in one form or another?

List your methods here. I've been having fun lately trying what I've read about over the years. Some worked...most didn't.

Tempted to suggest only listing legitimate techniques but for the sake of having fun might as well throw in some of the ridiculous things people do in the attempt to better their sound.

Crossovers, room treatment, placement, damping materials, EQ's, tone controls, wire, spikes etc. Nothing is off limits.

I'll start with the best upgrade that I heard from Tom Brennan (remember him?)......was that the best he could do to make a particular speaker sound good was to place it face down, in a different room. :)

This is one of the cooler aspects of Klipsh, IMO.  Their longevity has allowed them to become the Harley Davidson of speakers.  Since Klipsch has been around so long, and the cottage folks catering to them have a wealth of modding experience built up over decades (hat tip to Bob Crites, DeanG, fastlane Dave, ALK, and others I'm probably forgetting to mention), from simple re-habs to full blown re-engineering in some cases, it's something special that no other brand I can think of has to offer.

Why mod?  To fix things as they age.  To uncut the corners that the bean-counters cut for the commercial product.  To push the envelope of the designs.  

Forte II, Crites full networks and ti tween diaphragms.  Conservative, no re-engineering here, but the result is a very honest speaker.

• Like 2

Damp the horn:

I used one $5 tube of pure silicon caulk on each horn lens to damp the vibration, about 10 ounces.  Don't get the latex kind that is paintable, it deteriorates over time.

077027000252lg.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_444949-72643-GE5000X2_0__?productId=4402709&Ntt=ge+silicon+caulk&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dge%2Bsilicon%2Bcaulk&facetInfo=

This is on the horn from a CF-4 with a K-63 compression driver (center).  There is definitely a difference in the "knuckle rap" test with a lower sound about 1/3 octave, but I really didn't hear much difference in listening tests with music.

It is best to apply one med layer (half tube), let dry overnight, then apply the other half.  I used an asymmetrical pattern, but I don't know how much difference it makes, probably little.

post-58280-0-15890000-1421960441_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80

Doesn't every Klipsch owner tweak/modify their speakers in one form or another?

List your methods here. I've been having fun lately trying what I've read about over the years. Some worked...most didn't.

Tempted to suggest only listing legitimate techniques but for the sake of having fun might as well throw in some of the ridiculous things people do in the attempt to better their sound.

Crossovers, room treatment, placement, damping materials, EQ's, tone controls, wire, spikes etc. Nothing is off limits.

I'll start with the best upgrade that I heard from Tom Brennan (remember him?)......was that the best he could do to make a particular speaker sound good was to place it face down, in a different room. :)

Perhaps the Moderator should move this thread to "Technical/Modifications"?

I find that some of the most meaningful things that can be done are simple and basic by nature. No matter what loudspeaker your are talking about you want to make every attempt to diminish or "eliminate" (as your ultimate but unobtainable goal) all mechanical and acoustical resonances which are forms of distortion. This is simple and very straight forward. If it moves (when it should not)you should damp it and or brace it if it does so within the bandpass of the driver concerned. Three very powerful tools are hard wood or plywood made from hard wood for brace work, constrained layer damping material like Dynamat and F-11 Acoustical Felt (I like 1/8" and 1/4" felts as they can be applied from inside of compression to the inside and outside of direct radiator drivers) and even be used to supply damping (acoustical) inside of cabinets. Common sense and experience will also take you to places you never thought possible. Practice and experimentation is how you gain experience. Half measures are very often a waste of time/money as is using the cheapest material or what ever is no hand rather than spending the money to buy the right material for the job. Yoru time along with the initial investment of your loudspeakers justify using the very best material you can for the job.

one other comment is that you should never undertake a speaker modification with the though in mind that you will increase the resale value of that speaker as a result. In general you would be lucky to recoup your material cost. You modify because you want a better speaker and because you have determined that your speaker is a good candidate for modification, very many are not. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

See, there is one mod madman I forgot to mention, our own Moray James.  Excellent perspective, sir, particularly that last part.

Yes. MJ certainly inspired me to start a thread like this. He goes above and beyond in this aspect and  with knowledge in this field that justifies at least trying some of the things he suggests.

Perhaps the Moderator should move this thread to "Technical/Modifications"?

Good idea.....I thought I did. My mistake.

Chad if you could, please move to the 'Technical/Modifications' forum. Thanks.

• 10 months later...

This is one of the cooler aspects of Klipsh, IMO.  Their longevity has allowed them to become the Harley Davidson of speakers.  Since Klipsch has been around so long, and the cottage folks catering to them have a wealth of modding experience built up over decades (hat tip to Bob Crites, DeanG, fastlane Dave, ALK, and others I'm probably forgetting to mention), from simple re-habs to full blown re-engineering in some cases, it's something special that no other brand I can think of has to offer.

Why mod?  To fix things as they age.  To uncut the corners that the bean-counters cut for the commercial product.  To push the envelope of the designs.  

Forte II, Crites full networks and ti tween diaphragms.  Conservative, no re-engineering here, but the result is a very honest speaker.

This is exactly why I will never buy another brand of speaker. Admittedly, I have a complete fanboy love affair with Klipsch. :) Plus, nothing beats the efficiency and detail of Klipsch horn loaded speakers, in my opinion, of course. And nothing can touch the beauty of that copper driver! :D :D

You ROCK, and I absolutely love the way you think! :)

Edited by ninjai18