RF-82 II in Large or Small?

rafabond

what do you think my configuration: the RF-82 II front have them in small position in the AV and subwoofer, JBL ES 250 PW, cut 80rz. if the front had them in Large and cut to 80 on the subwoofer, would I get better sound? What do you recommend me? AV is a Pioneer VSX-924. Thanks and I'm apologizing for my English

Edited by rafabond

Welcome, Rafa.  Your English is fine.  :)

You have done a good job with your cross over (XO) points.  Crossing to the sub at 80hz is a standard most people use.

If you set your RF-82's to Large and use a sub, you will get a little more bass.  You will get DIFFERENT sound, not necessarily BETTER sound.  There is no standard that everybody does, it is personal preference. 

I think with the RF-82's at full you will get a more even bass across your room.  Your experience in YOUR house should decide how to set your XO, whatever sounds best to YOUR ears.

I have done it both ways, and I prefer to set my L/R speakers to "Small" and let the sub do all the low frequencies.  My sub crosses over at 80hz, my L/C/R speakers are at 60hz.  This gives me the clearest sound.

Edited by wvu80

Dave,

Did you see the WVU BB game? If not, you missed a thriller.

It was not broadcast in my area, but I listened to it.  WVU did everything they could to lose it, but somehow won.

+++

Rafa, we return to you control of your thread.  :D

I tested ..... if I put small in RF-82II and cut to 80hz, the sound is more earthquake. Large if I put the bass are not powerful. in exchange for music, you better put on RF-82II in Large and disconnect the subwoofer. What do you think?

For music I run my RF 7's off the avr set to small and let the sub/s handle the bass.   A good sub can produce deeper, lower bass than most towers, including the RF 7 and other Reference speakers.  Also, this reduces intermodulation distortion and results in a cleaner sound.  Subs are powered by a separate amp which leaves more power from the avr for the midrange.

Edited by derrickdj1

The Reference line is not strong in the 35 Hz region.  The distortion goes up dramatically if were are talking about a typical listening position and not a measurement from 1meter anecohic.  95 +% of all towers, not just Klipsch can benefit from a sub.  The key point is will the difference in distortion be audible.  That depends on listening habits, room, and volume.  The increase modulation distortion is based on science.

Edited by derrickdj1

The Reference line is not strong in the 35 Hz region.  The distortion goes up dramatically if were are talking about a typical listening position and not a measurement from 1meter anecohic.  95 +% of all towers, not just Klipsch can benefit from a sub.  The key point is will the difference in distortion be audible.  That depends on listening habits, room, and volume.  The increase modulation distortion is based on science.

I can have my onkyo at +6 (master volume) and bass at +6 (tone control) before I can hear any distortion, that's not to say it isn't happening. Obviously it is too loud for comfortable listening but those 4 8" woofers slam! For a long time I ran no sub and the subs I did purchase couldn't or struggled to keep up, until I found some proper subs. 

Edited by robbiey60

Many people take pride in their tower speakers which is OK.  The point I always try to make is that there is more speaker cone breakup with speakers set to Large.  Using a good sub convert the 2 way Reference system to a 3 way system.  The other main point is the sub can be placed where it works best which is harder to do with the mains.  Since a lot of rooms are small, the distace to the wall is less a factor in clean sound with rear ported speakers.  The extra head room in the avr allows for less chance of clipping the amp and damaging a speaker.  The advantages of the small setting are to great to ignore for me.

Many people take pride in their tower speakers which is OK. The point I always try to make is that there is more speaker cone breakup with speakers set to Large. Using a good sub convert the 2 way Reference system to a 3 way system. The other main point is the sub can be placed where it works best which is harder to do with the mains. Since a lot of rooms are small, the distace to the wall is less a factor in clean sound with rear ported speakers. The extra head room in the avr allows for less chance of clipping the amp and damaging a speaker. The advantages of the small setting are to great to ignore for me.

I don't run full range any more, usually 60-80. It is nice to know that if I want to crank just the speakers they perform rather well on their own, but have nothing compared to the subs.