Initial Impressions of the Panasonic AE8000u

Youthman

• Moderators

Just finished replacing my trusty Panasonic AE3000u with a new Panasonic AE8000u.  Out of the box, my initial impression is SWEET!  Image is definitely brighter (2400 lumens vs 1600 lumens), contrast ratio is much higher (500,000:1 vs 60,000:1).  The AE3000u has always impressed me with it's PQ.....the AE8000u is just that much better! 

One feature I REALLY like is the Auto Detect and Switching between 16:9 and 2.35:1 content.  The Auto Switching seems about 3x as fast at switching than the 3000u did.  I haven't timed it but it is noticeably faster at switching between lens memory presets (zoom, focus & digital lens shift).

The brighter image will be needed when I upgrade from 103" to 150" screen.  :D

• Like 4

• Moderators

Spent some time in the HT and I just keep grinning. The color on the 8000 are so vivid and I don't think it will have any problem when I build the 150" screen. I absolutely love the auto lens memory whenever content switches from 16:9 to 2.35:1. Takes 5 seconds after content changes for the Panny to begin switching and then 6 seconds to actually zone and refocus. It's pretty awesome! This weekend I plan on calibrating it

• Like 2

I used to say the same till I built my room. Now even my living room has a projector. Not a TV in my house now hooked up anymore. Got a 32" out the other day to prove my wife wrong about something and my 4 year old walked in and said " awe daddy it's so cute! Little tiny TV!" And ran off laughing. Spoiled brat lol

• Like 1

• Moderators
You lucky guys with the room for projection! Jealous!

Not sure what luck had to do with it.  We rented for 12 years and after having 4 children, we were way beyond a "Starter Home".  So when we finally decided to build our home, my wife suggested that I have a Dedicated HT.  Later on, I found out she wanted me to have one so that I would keep all of my speakers contained and she wouldn't have to see them in the living room (that lasted for 7 years but that's another thread).  We found a new construction home that had a 13' x 19' "Media Room".  It wasn't the 15' x 25' room that I had hoped for but I knew it would still be wonderful to have.

my 4 year old walked in and said " awe daddy it's so cute! Little tiny TV!" And ran off laughing. Spoiled brat lol

Too funny.  :D

• Like 1