New DVD player needed

colterphoto1

Hi guys I'm rarely in this Forum because my simple little Yamaha HT setup has been pretty bulletproof until recently.

Heres' the basics. I have a bunch of inputs (Technics phono, Panasonic VHS, Yamaha cassette, HDplayer rarely used, and Yamaha DVD)   all hooked up to a RXV2600. Output goes to my LS/KLF-C7/CW speaker set with LF handled by Klipsch THX. Video is a very pleasing Samsun 42" plasma.  I use a combination of digital/analog/HDMI in/outputs.  So far so good. 

It gets a little complicated because I don't have CATV, never liked the programming, probably never will have it in home. My main source of video enjoyment is watching a decent sized collection of DVD's, a lot of concert videos, and a neverending supply through my local library - for free!  I recently purchased an AppleTV box so am enjoying some tv series on Netflix and streaming my music collection from iMac in the home office. For network TV, I actually use a set of rabbit ears that pulls in all local channels effortlessly. For this the Samsung is the tuner, so there is an output from TV back into the RXV for tv listening.

Recently my top of line Yamaha DVD-S1800BL went on the total fritz, which is no wonder, given the amount of hours I have on it. Yamaha does not repair their units but offers a very inexpensive trade-in program, which I've already taken advantage of once with my DVD player.

QUESTION- I need your advice. I don't have Blu-ray, but so many concert videos and re-release box sets are coming in that format (The Steve Wilson Yes remixes for example).  I really like the upconverting the Yamaha does, perhaps the receiver or TV will do the same thing so far as quality?  A friend noticed how horrible the picture was when using my HD player for standard DVD's, perhaps that's an example of how good the Yamaha 1800 was.  I have the AppleTV already, so don't need the wireless/smart features of a bluray necessarily. Yamaha only makes the blu-ray players now. Will they have the same capability with standard DVD's as my old 1800?  

Also - what of SACD compatibility? Some reissues are in this format and although I have a few old SACD discs, I never fully embraced this feature, although it would be nice. My guess is that with the advent of HDMI, most players won't give you a plethora of various output types.  

Michael,

If you don't want to spend a big hunk of $$$ and you want quality with everything you need, find a used Oppo BDP-83.  Mine was bullet proof, super fast loading, multichannel analog outputs, excellent video upconverting.  Around $200.00 on the used market.

Bill

• Like 1

Michael,

If you don't want to spend a big hunk of $$$ and you want quality with everything you need, find a used Oppo BDP-83.  Mine was bullet proof, super fast loading, multichannel analog outputs, excellent video upconverting.  Around $200.00 on the used market.

Bill

You could probably get the Oppo BDP-93 for that price these days. Excellent support for everything you described (including SACD) and has a most excellent DVD upscaler.

yes fast loading is very good, my HD takes weeks. And quiet. That Yamaha was absolutely dead silent. 

Any ideas on any of the new Yamaha BR players with relation to my wants?  It would only be about $100-$125 to get a NEW replacement unit via their program. 

Edited by colterphoto1

I think I'm mostly wondering about this whole 'upconverting' business. Guess my receiver will do that also? 

And to complicate things I just bought a 2-year old Samsung 60" plasma!  it's got nearly all HDMI and I hope to mix and match my components and put it in a new basement theater.  Might be able to use it with my non-HDMI Yamaha RXV2400 as the Plasma has three HDMI ins, has it's own SmartTV (AppleTV equivalent), so I can use it for the switcher and just route the optical audio feed into the RXV2400 hopefully.